LINGUIST List 31.3136
Thu Oct 15 2020
Jobs: French; English; Applied Linguistics: Freelancer, Duolingo
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Emily Moline <moline
French; English; Applied Linguistics: Freelancer, Duolingo E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Duolingo
Web Address: https://www.duolingo.com/
Job Title: Expert in Teaching French Conversation Skills to Speakers of English (Freelance)
Job Rank: Freelancer; Other
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng) French (fra)
Use your expertise in teaching French conversation skills to English speakers to help bring language education to the world.
Duolingo is looking for an expert who has native or near-native proficiency in French and strong working proficiency in English, who has experience teaching French conversational skills to English speakers, and who has experience developing language learning curricula with a focus on speaking. This is a temporary freelance position (no benefits included). All work will be conducted remotely and hours are flexible.
- Use your pedagogical expertise to both develop and deliver creative course content for an online French course that is aligned with the standards of the CEFR and designed for English-speaking French learners.
- Be an engaging instructor who’s able to make conversation fun and accessible to all students.
- Help define project details, set timeframes, and coordinate project activities.
- BA in French language, linguistics, culture, applied linguistics, or related field
- Native or near-native proficiency in French
- At least two years of experience teaching French online and/or face-to-face to high school or adult learners
- Experience with curriculum design for speaking-first or conversational language classes
- Experience creating language learning material/curricula with a focus on communicative/functional goals
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, including Google docs, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Comfortable with one or more videoconferencing tools (e.g., Zoom), including for sharing presentations and engaging with participants or learners
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Strong working proficiency in English
- Ability to work between 10 and 20 hours a week
- Ability to have daily meetings sometime between 9am-6pm EST; we are flexible regarding the exact time
Exceptional candidates will have:
- MA or above in French language, linguistics, culture, applied linguistics, or related field
- Experience designing both one-off and continuous class curricula
- Familiarity with the Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR)
- Experience in team teaching, supervision of others, and/or project management
Apply at the application link provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://duolingo.breezy.hr/p/8a9bdc04a7fb
Page Updated: 15-Oct-2020