LINGUIST List 31.3194
Tue Oct 20 2020
Jobs: Psycholinguistics: Scientist, University of California San Diego
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Human Resources <hr
Psycholinguistics: Scientist, University of California San Diego, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of California San Diego
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: https://linguistics.ucsd.edu/
Job Title: Assistant Project Scientist - Linguistics
Job Rank: Scientist
Specialty Areas: Psycholinguistics
Assistant Project Scientist - Linguistics
University of California San Diego
The Department of Linguistics within the Division of Social Sciences at UC San Diego seeks an Assistant Project Scientist (non-tenured) to perform psycholinguistics research in the Laboratory for Multimodal Language Development under the direction of Professor Rachel Mayberry.
Project Scientists are academic researchers who are expected to make significant and creative contributions to a research team, but are not necessarily leaders of the research team. They are not required to carry out independent research or develop an independent research reputation but will publish and carry out research or creative programs with supervision by a member of the Professor or Professional Research series. Project Scientists may not serve as a Principal Investigator but may serve as Co-Principal Investigators with members of the Professor or Research Scientist series.
University and public service are encouraged but not required and they do not have formal teaching responsibilities. Appointments and duration vary depending on the length of the research project and availability of funding.
Candidates must have earned their Ph.D. degree in Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Psychology or related field.
Qualified candidates should possess:
- Post-doctoral experience in working with and analyzing sign language data
- Demonstrated experience in publishing papers
- Experience in conducting research with deaf and hard of hearing adults and children
- Experience creating, filming and editing digital video stimuli for psycholinguistic experiments in sign language
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience evaluating and working with computer and telecommunication applications to facilitate face-to-face and on-line communication between deaf and hearing individuals
- Experience working with ELAN
- Experience mentoring undergraduates
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales.
To apply, please submit:
- A letter of application,
- Current curriculum vitae,
- A research statement,
- The names and contact information of three references, and
- A personal statement summarizing past or potential contributions to diversity
Submit application online at the application link provided below.
UCSD is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence and diversity (http://diversity.ucsd.edu
). The Department of Linguistics is committed to building an excellent and diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and invites applications from candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Application Deadline: 13-Nov-2020
Web Address for Applications: https://apptrkr.com/2029202
Page Updated: 20-Oct-2020