LINGUIST List 31.3498
Fri Nov 13 2020
Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Northern Arizona University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Vedran Dronjic <vedran.dronjic
English; Applied Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Northern Arizona University, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Northern Arizona University
Web Address: https://nau.edu/english/
Job Title: Assistant Professor of English, Specialization in Applied Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Register Analysis
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Applied Linguistics faculty in the English Department at Northern Arizona University invite applications for one assistant professor tenure-eligible position beginning in August 2021.
Your primary teaching and research interests should lie in corpus linguistics (especially with an emphasis on spoken and/or written registers).
Responsibilities include teaching courses in the Applied Linguistics doctoral program, the MA-TESL program, and the English undergraduate program. Responsibilities also include doctoral student supervision; active research; student advising and mentoring; and department, college, university, and professional service.
- Ph.D. in applied linguistics or related field
- Primary research interest must be indicated as corpus linguistics as evidenced by dissertation, presentations, and publications.
- Two refereed publications in the research area
- Evidence of an established empirical research agenda in corpus linguistics (especially with an emphasis on spoken and/or written registers
- Evidence of computer programming skills
- Ability to teach graduate and/or undergraduate courses in corpus linguistics, register analysis, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, English grammar, introduction to linguistics, research design/statistics, and computer programming for linguistic analysis
Also, evidence of:
- The importance and impact of one’s research with respect to both quantity and quality
- Research published as single or first author
- Skill with quantitative methods and research design
- Submitted and awarded grant activity (specify whether internal or external)
- Ability to supervise doctoral students successfully
- Collaboration with graduate students on research, presentations, and publications
- Service to the profession
- Working relationships with people from a variety of culturally and racially diverse backgrounds
- Teaching effectiveness at both graduate and undergraduate levels
Commensurate with experience.
This position will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on December 4th, 2020.
Applications for this position will only be considered if they are submitted through NAU’s on-line application process. To view the original post and to apply, proceed to the application link provided below, and follow the 'Faculty and Administrator Openings' link, locate vacancy 605097, and then click on "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples. NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees’ right to work in the United States. NAU also requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification, and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment.
The online application must include a single attachment containing:
1) Cover letter addressing minimum qualifications and highlighting preferred qualifications (NOTE: you must specify the position you are applying for);
2) Curriculum vitae;
3) Names and contact information for three references;
4) Your two most important research articles;
5) List of courses taught (titles, levels, locations and evidence of effectiveness).
Submit items 1–5, in the order stated, as a single PDF document.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://nau.jobs/
Page Updated: 13-Nov-2020