LINGUIST List 31.3776
Tue Dec 08 2020
Jobs: General Linguistics; Morphology; Semantics; Syntax: Assistant Professor, University of Oklahoma
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Dylan Herrick <dylan.herrick
General Linguistics; Morphology; Semantics; Syntax: Assistant Professor, University of Oklahoma, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Oklahoma
Department: Modern Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
Job Location: Oklahoma, USA
Web Address: https://www.ou.edu/cas/modlang
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Morphology; Semantics; Syntax; Theoretical Linguistics
The University of Oklahoma announces a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor for appointment in our Linguistics BA program. The candidate will teach General Linguistics, Syntax, Semantics, Morphology, and our senior research course. In addition, the candidate will teach a selection of courses from the existing undergraduate curriculum that best fits with his or her strengths: Lesser Studied Languages, Linguistic Field Methods, Second Language Acquisition Theory, Sociolinguistics, or Typology. The successful candidate will also be expected to develop new courses for the major and to contribute to the growth of the linguistics program. The new hire must be able to involve students in his or her own research program, supervise Independent Studies, Honors Research, student papers to be presented at Undergraduate Research Day, and other forms of high-impact learning. The teaching load is four courses per year. Salary is competitive.
While any research specialty in the core areas of theoretical linguistics is acceptable, we will give a preference to those with formal training and teaching experience in syntax, semantics, and/or morphology. Applicants with experience working with Native American Languages and with Native American communities are especially welcome to apply. Candidates should note if they have experience or secondary interests in areas that overlap with, for example, technology, computer science, corpora, or medicine.
- Completed a Ph.D. in Linguistics by the time of appointment, August 16, 2021
- An active research program
- Evidence of outstanding teaching
- A commitment to understanding issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion (ensuring that all students in a diverse community, including members of traditionally underrepresented groups, are supported)
Review of applications will begin January 15th, 2021, and be considered until the position is filled.
Please upload the following to the application link below:
- A letter of application that addresses research and teaching
- An updated CV
- A sample of published work (1 or 2 papers)
- Course evaluations from the two most recent years of teaching
- A copy of your transcript (PhD granting institution only)
- Three letters of recommendation (provide Interfolio with names and email addresses of three references who will provide letters of recommendation)
- A diversity statement (that explains how the candidate can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at OU and how their professional activities such as teaching, research, mentoring, or other professional or public service to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion)
Questions about the position may be directed to Kyla Thompson at the contact information below.
For more information about our department, visit http://www.ou.edu/cas/modlang
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, or health care services that the University operates or provides.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://apply.interfolio.com/81519
Ms. Kyla Thompson
Page Updated: 08-Dec-2020