LINGUIST List 31.3802
Thu Dec 10 2020
Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Analytical Linguist, Grammarly
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Courtney Napoles <courtney.napoles
English; Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Analytical Linguist, Grammarly, New York, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Grammarly
Job Location: New York, USA
Job Title: Analytical Linguist
Job Rank: Analytical Linguist; Other
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. More than 30 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an Analytical Linguist to join our team in New York City or San Francisco. We use a combination of machine learning, deep learning, and pattern-based methods to drive our high-quality writing feedback. Linguists are essential to improving our product, developing training and evaluation sets, and conducting user experiments. The team you will partner with is critical to advance Grammarly’s data-based approaches.
- Work on mission-critical NLP research and product tasks (e.g., designing annotation guidelines, annotating content, performing data quality control).
- Evolve and prioritize ongoing working processes associated with our data and annotation needs (i.e., annotation guideline development, data development, etc.).
- Work with product teams to improve the feedback we provide to our users (e.g., problem-solve where to focus product improvement efforts, oversee portions of our annotation projects with external vendors).
We're looking for someone who:
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Has a bachelor’s or master’s degree—or holds a Ph.D—in linguistics.
- Is a team player who enjoys linguistic annotation, evaluation, and data quality work.
- Speaks and writes English fluently, with an excellent grasp of English grammar and communication.
- Is positive, organized, and detail-oriented.
Bonus points if you have:
- At least two years of industry experience as an Analytical Linguist.
- Experience with scripting languages (preferably Python) in a Linux environment.
- Experience with research processes and qualitative and quantitative approaches.
- Experience with crowdsourcing and/or vendor management.
Support for you, professionally and personally:
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
We encourage you to apply:
At Grammarly, we value our differences and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Act. We are an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program.
Please submit your application to our website found at the application link provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://grnh.se/4c25eb681us
Page Updated: 10-Dec-2020