LINGUIST List 31.609
Tue Feb 11 2020
Calls: English;French;Spanish; Anthro Ling, Discipline of Ling, Disc Analysis, Semantics, Text/Corpus Ling/Sweden
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Malin Roitman <malin.roitman
Populism, political representation, media language and power E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Populism, political representation, media language and power
Date: 19-Nov-2020 - 20-Nov-2020
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact Person: Malin Roitman
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discipline of Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Semantics; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Subject Language(s): English; French; Spanish
Call Deadline: 28-Feb-2020
Workshop within the research network “Political Discourse in the Romance Speaking Countries: linguistics and social science perspectives” (ROMPOL)
Populism, political representation, media language and power
November 19th-20th, 2020
Department of Romance Studies and Classics, Stockholm University
The RomPol workshop 2020 will focus on the following research axes:
1) Comparative studies of populist discourses emerging from different countries and circulating in the media, in France, Italy, Spain, Brazil and - for this edition - Sweden;
2) Analyses of the seduction strategies and rhetorical means used in different populist discourses in one of the countries on focus;
3) Studies of media productions (oral and/or written) with focus on the notions of information vs misinformation and the dissemination of fake news, in the light of specific discursive events under the recent years;
4) Investigations of the political representation and the relations between populism and direct democracy in different countries as well as the so-called citizens' initiative referendum (RIC) in France.
These research avenues will provide complementary insights to better understand the rising populism in the countries on focus as well as the way the media participate in its dissemination and circulation. It is our hope that the workshop Populism, political representation and media language and power increase the number of collaborations with researchers from different backgrounds who are interested in interdisciplinary and comparative research on political discourse, in particular on the development of populism in Romance-speaking countries and in north European countries. Several researchers within ROMPOL are also part of the network “Language and Power” at Stockholm University, which will enable us to build bridges between different disciplines working specifically on populism and media power.
The following researchers have agreed to give plenary lectures:
a) Within social & political science perspectives:
- Christophe Premat, Associate Professor of French cultural studies at Stockholm University. https://www.su.se/english/profiles/chpr8162-1.195186
- Jens Rydgren, Professor of Sociology at Stockholm University. http://www.jensrydgren.com
- Jessé Souza, Professor of Sociology at the University of Juiz de Flora, Minas Gerais. https://jessesouza.com.br/
b) Linguistics perspective:
- Michele Colombo, Professor of Italian Linguistics at Stockholm University, https://www.su.se/english/profiles/mico0163-1.447268
- Beatriz Gallardo-Paúls, Professor of Linguistics at the University of Valencia. https://pauls.blogs.uv.es/
Call for Papers:
The proposals (maximum 400 words) can be written in English, French or Spanish and should be sent to rompol
su.se by February 28, 2020.
- December 15, 2019: 1st call for papers/proposals.
- February 28, 2020 : deadline to send proposals to rompol
- May 30, 2020: Notification of acceptance from the scientific committee.
- August 31 to October 24, 2020: registration.
- November 19-20, 2020: Workshop
Page Updated: 11-Feb-2020