LINGUIST List 31.878
Tue Mar 03 2020
Support: Yucatec Maya; Persian; German; Gen Ling, Socioling, Syntax, Text/Corpus Ling: PhD Student, University of Cologne
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
Aria Adli <aria.adli
Yucatec Maya; Persian; German; Gen Ling, Socioling, Syntax, Text/Corpus Ling: PhD Student, University of Cologne, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Collaborative Research Center 1412
Institution/Organization: University of Cologne
Duties: Research,Project Work
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): Dari (prs) Itzá (itz) Plautdietsch (pdt)
On the research project
The project “Disentangling cross-linguistic and language-specific aspects of register variation” studies which aspects of syntactic variation are cross-linguistically associated with register and which aspects are language-specific. The languages investigated are Yucatec Maya, Persian, and German. We study the impact of register on syntactic compactness and word order variation, as well as on the use of referential expressions, taking into account the impact of information structure. More details at https://sfb1412.hu-berlin.de/projects/a06/
* Analysis of cross-linguistic research questions of the project with regard to the relation of register and grammatical knowledge of language, in particular:
* Analyzing variation in word order and the use of referential expressions, taking into consideration information structure
* Identifying “universal” properties of register, taking into account that languages differ in their register diversity
* Designing field work (Iran and/or Germany and/or Mexico), collecting, and analyzing data, as well as corpus building
* Building synergy and bridges with the Sociolinguistic Lab (www.sociolab.cologne
* Publication of findings with the team
* Master of Linguistics, or related field with linguistic specialization
* Knowledge of syntax & pragmatics. Knowledge of sociolinguistics and fieldwork is an asset
* Academic English is required. Proficiency in Persian is a strong asset
* Full-time presence in Cologne is required.
The University of Cologne promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations. Women are expressly encouraged to apply and given priority in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act. We expressly welcome applications from individuals with severe disabilities or people of equivalent status. Severely disabled applicants of equal merit and qualifications will be given priority.
Please send your convincing application until March 22, 2020 with proof (letter of motivation, CV, transcript of records and copy of your Master Thesis) of the sought qualifications with the reference number Wiss2002-17 to the application web address below.
If your Master Thesis is not in English or German please add a detailed synopsis in English as a preface. Documentation of disabilities can also be uploaded in the portal.
Applications Deadline: 22-Mar-2020
Web Address for Applications: https://jobportal.uni-koeln.de/bewerben/98
Prof. Aria Adli
Page Updated: 03-Mar-2020