LINGUIST List 32.1160
Thu Apr 01 2021
Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Utrecht University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Frans Adriaans <f.w.adriaans
Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Utrecht University, Netherlands E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Utrecht University
Department: Languages, Literature and Communication
Job Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Web Address: https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/department-of-languages-literature-and-communication
Job Title: Fixed term Assistant Professor in Computational Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
The Department of Languages, Literature and Communication of Utrecht University invites proven excellent candidates in the field of Computational Linguistics, and especially candidates who specialize in models connecting statistical NLP with formal language theories of syntax and semantics, to apply. The candidate will be expected to make a substantial contribution to both the computational linguistics research at the UiL OTS and to the AI teaching programme. Accordingly, proven expertise in both linguistic theories and in statistical NLP will be a strong advantage. A demonstrated interest in collaboration with industrial partners will be considered an advantage.
Your teaching obligations will be in the area of natural language processing, mathematical and computational linguistics, and language technology. Additional teaching areas, depending on your expertise, may include formal linguistics, artificial grammar learning, statistics, machine learning and data mining. You will primarily teach in the AI programme (Bachelor's and Master's), but also in the Bachelor's programme of Linguistics and the Research Master's Linguistics.
Your research will be part of the Utrecht institute of Linguistics OTS, in relation to the focus area Human-Centered AI.
- Extensive research experience in computational linguistics/natural language processing, as demonstrated by a finished PhD and publications at an internationally recognised level;
- Specialisation in statistical computational models that make use of formal language theories;
- Experience in teaching at Bachelor's and Master's level;
- Experience with successful applications for external funding is recommended;
- Good communication skills;
- Fluency in English;
- Non-Dutch candidates are required to master Dutch at the CEFR - B2 level for reading and listening within two years of appointment. Fluency in Dutch will be a positive factor in facilitating teaching and interacting with (Bachelor's) students;
- University Teaching Qualification (Dutch basiskwalificatie universitair onderwijs, BKO). Candidates lacking this qualification should be prepared to follow the BKO programme available within the faculty.
We offer a position (1.0 FTE) for a period of one year. In case of a good performance, extending the employment is one of the possibilities. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,746 and €5,862 (scale 11-12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
For more information about this position, please contact: Yoad Winter Seggev (Professor) at the contact information below.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the website below.
Due to the current situation regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) the process of selection and interviews is subject to change.
The application deadline is 30 April 2021
Application Deadline: 30-Apr-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/fixed-term-assistant-professor-in-computational-linguistics-10-fte
Page Updated: 01-Apr-2021