LINGUIST List 32.1167
Thu Apr 01 2021
Jobs: Arabic, Gulf; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Consultant, Appen Butler Hill Inc.
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Abigail Abayon <aabayon
Arabic, Gulf; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Consultant, Appen Butler Hill Inc. E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Appen Butler Hill Inc.
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://appen.com/
Job Title: Gulf Arabic Linguist
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): Arabic, Gulf (afb)
This is a Gulf Arabic lexicon project. The pronunciations required in this project are Gulf Arabic from United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman, and MSA.
Your task is to review and correct automatically generated phonemic transcriptions to provide the required correct pronunciations. You will participate in reviewing and developing the guidelines which we will use to create this lexicon. In addition to producing correct pronunciations, you will be asked to correct spellings. The data will be used to develop better text-to-speech AI models for Gulf Arabic.
- Stable internet connection
- Strong attention to detail
- Understanding of basic linguistic concepts
- Excellent reading comprehension skills in English
- Ability to review examples and apply rules to data
- Familiarity with spelling conventions in Modern Standard Arabic
- Native/Near-native knowledge of Gulf Arabic - preferably native speaker from UAE, Bahrain, or Oman. Or somebody who lived in those countries and knows the dialects.
- Degree in Linguistics or related discipline Prior experience with transcription using IPA, SAMPA, L&H+ and/or other phonetic alphabet
- Knowledge of Arabic phonology and phonetics is highly desirable.
This project will start ASAP and will end by the end of June. The delivery is June 25th. To apply, please send your application to the application email below and please provide a resume with your application. This information will help us to assess your skills and expertise against the specific requirements for this role.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: aabayon
Page Updated: 01-Apr-2021