LINGUIST List 32.1523
Mon May 03 2021
Support: Language Acquisition: PhD, University of Zurich
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Manuela Rossini <manuela.rossini
Language Acquisition: PhD, University of Zurich, Switzerland E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Department of Comparative Language Science
Web Address: https://www.comparativelinguistics.uzh.ch/en.html
Institution/Organization: University of Zurich
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
The Interdisciplinary Study of Language Evolution (ISLE) invites applications for a 4-year PhD positions in the area of first language acquisition. The position is embedded in the interdisciplinary research project ‘The evolution of metaphors in ontogeny and phylogeny’ funded by the Gerda Zeltner Fellowships (Department of Comparative Language Science).
The focus is on the use and understanding of metaphors in first language acquisition in maximally diverse languages. The student will work with the ACQDIV corpora and study the expression of perception concepts in the longitudinal corpora of maximally diverse languages, in child-directed speech, child-surrounding speech and in child speech. The goal is to determine how much concrete and how much figurative language children are exposed to and how such expressions develop over time in ontogeny.
- A strong interest in typological variation, corpus linguistics and quantitative methods.
- Solid background in a scripting language is required (preferred languages R or Python).
- Experience in NLP and/or Machine Learning a plus.
- Strong interest in language acquisition research and questions of transmission in a naturalistic environment.
- Willingness to potentially conduct fieldwork in a remote place with little infrastructure.
Page Updated: 04-May-2021