LINGUIST List 32.2501
Wed Jul 28 2021
Jobs: General Linguistics: Adjunct Professor, University of Denver
Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinsonlinguistlist.org>
Ian Sivakanthan <ian.sivakanthan
General Linguistics: Adjunct Professor, University of Denver, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Denver
Job Title: Adjunct Faculty, Spanish- Center for World Languages and Cultures
Job Rank: Adjunct Professor
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
The Center for World Languages and Cultures at the University of Denver seeks to hire adjunct faculty in Spanish, from an applicant pool for the academic year of 2021/2022. Adjunct faculty will teach 4 credit-courses for the first-year language program in Spanish: SPAN 1001, SPAN 1002, and SPAN 1003.
Usual teaching load is 1-3 sections of the same course per quarter based on candidate’s availability and departmental needs. The ideal candidate demonstrates experience in teaching the first-year language program, versatility in inclusive pedagogy, and proficiency in communicative, task-based teaching methods.
Job requirements for undergraduate classes include teaching a 10-week course on campus in 4 sessions of 50 minutes each per week, on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursday, and Fridays, creating lesson plans, holding weekly office hours (either on campus or potentially virtually via Zoom video-conferencing depending on circumstances), collaborating with colleagues on exam creation, evaluating homework, quizzes, and exams, and participating in group meetings and training led by the First Year Language Program Spanish Coordinator.
- Master’s degree or ABD in Spanish Linguistics, in Second Language Acquisition with a focus on Spanish, or in Spanish language, literatures, and cultures; closely related fields will be given consideration as well
- 1-2 years of previous teaching experience in Spanish in the United States (e.g. Teaching Assistant as an “instructor of record” with grading responsibilities)
- Evidence of a commitment to incorporate teaching methods to engage diverse student populations effectively
- Experience or willingness to learn course management systems such as Canvas
- Availability to teach classes “face-to-face” in physical classrooms at the University of Denver
- Ph.D. in Spanish Linguistics, in Second Language Acquisition with a focus on Spanish, or in Spanish language, literatures, and cultures. Closely related fields will be given consideration as well.
- 3-5 years previous experience teaching a university-level course as the primary instructor, especially with courses from the first-year language sequence
- Experience interacting with and effectively teaching diverse communities of students
- Experience working in a team, or under leadership of a coordinator
- Experience managing a course via Canvas
The standard pay for one 4-credit course during the 2021-2022 academic year is $4,233.
The University of Denver offers some benefits for non-benefited employees. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
This posting will remain open until filled, preference will be given to early applicants. For best consideration, apply by July 30th.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover letter, teaching philosophy, and lesson plan for a first-year Spanish language course.
- Response to a question on inclusive excellence in the online application.
- Strongly recommended but not required: Link to a video teaching demo or file of a video teaching demo (face-to-face or online)
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.du.edu/cw/en-us/job/494080/adjunct-faculty-spanish-center-for-world-languages-and-cultures
Page Updated: 28-Jul-2021