LINGUIST List 32.2521
Fri Jul 30 2021
Jobs: Anthropological Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics: Post Doc, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Linguistic and Cultural Evolution <lingsec
Anthropological Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics: Post Doc, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
Department: Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Job Location: Leipzig, Germany
Web Address: https://www.eva.mpg.de/linguistic-and-cultural-evolution/index/
Job Title: Researcher in ERC project on the Evolution of Cognitive Tools for Quantification
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics
The Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution at MPI-EVA aims to answer big picture questions about human history. Our focus is on describing and explaining the major patterns of linguistic and cultural variation across the globe. We tackle these questions by developing novel language documentation methods, global linguistic and cultural databases, and analyses using evolutionary theories and computational methods.
QUANTA aims at reconstructing the origin and evolution of numeral systems: when and why they were invented, and how and why they diversified. The 6-years project with a starting date of September 1st, 2021 is an international collaborative one located at four institutions: MPI-EVA Leipzig (Germany), UiB (Norway), CNRS Bordeaux (France), and UCSD (USA). These will engage in frequent and close collaboration and exchange, including internships for all researchers at the other institutions.
As a researcher in this project, you will have the chance to explore human prehistory, to actively assist the development of new methods for quantitative historical linguistics and typology, and to shed light on general processes in the development of numeral systems worldwide.
Possible topics include:
- The co-evolution of cognition and numeral systems
- The co-evolution of different numeral system modalities (verbal, body-based, written, and material)
- Evolution of complex number systems
- The role of social and technological in driving the evolution of numeral systems
- A PhD in linguistics, cognitive science, evolutionary biology, computer science, statistics, anthropology, or related field with an outstanding academic record.
- Good computational skills with a knowledge of R, Python or other programming language.
- Strong proficiency in both spoken and written English.
- Strong analytical skills and proven self-motivation to complete independent work.
- Strong team player qualities (you will work in an interdisciplinary and international team where communication is crucial for the success of the project).
- Research experience in the field of numeral systems is beneficial.
- Full-time position, starting on October 1st, 2021, initially limited to 3 years with the possibility of extension of 2 more years
- Salary based on experience according to the German TVöD
- According to German labor laws, benefits include 30 days holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays and Christmas closure days as well as an attractive pension proposition
- An inspiring, international, interdisciplinary environment with leading domain scientists at our department and in various Max Planck Institutes and universities
- Space, freedom, support and resources to do all the things described above
Please submit your application in English, including the following:
- Cover letter, explaining research experience and reason for interest in this project, along with a proposed research project (max. two pages).
- Your CV and copies of degree certificates (Bachelor’s/Master’s/PhD diplomas or transcripts).
- Names and contact information (including e-mail and phone) for 2-3 referees.
Application Deadline: 01-Sep-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://www.eva.mpg.de/career/positions-available/job/509/Abteilung%20Sprach-%20und%20Kulturevolution/en/?cHash=3a61e58f33b33eb4a52a6a327263934b
Page Updated: 30-Jul-2021