LINGUIST List 32.3235
Thu Oct 14 2021
Jobs: General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics: Chair (Full Professor) of Intercultural Communication, Utrecht University
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Peter Schrijver <departementshoofdtlc.gw
General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics: Chair (Full Professor) of Intercultural Communication, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Utrecht University
Department: Languages, Literature and Communication
Job Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Job Title: Chair (Full Professor) of Intercultural Communication
Job Rank: Full Professor
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; Multilingualism, Communication
Utrecht University is looking to fill the Professorship of Intercultural Communication (ICC). The Chair is positioned in the Department of Languages, Literature and Communication of the Faculty of Humanities. The department focuses on the study of Western European languages and cultures in a global context.
The research domain of the Chair lies within the broad field of multilingualism, focusing on the linguistic interaction between speakers from different linguistic and cultural backgrounds in diverse and inclusive societies. The Chair plays a leading role in the department's research in ICC, which intertwines the fields of linguistics (Utrecht Institute of Linguistics) and cultural and literary studies (Institute for Cultural Enquiry). The Chair is responsible for the one-year ICC Master’s programme, which attracts around 50 students a year.
Eligible candidates should:
- have a sound research background in multilingualism, with interdisciplinary connections into adjacent areas, such as sociolinguistics, second language acquisition, communication studies, cultural and literary studies, and/or social and economic history;
- be excellent senior Researchers, as evidenced by high quality, international and peer-reviewed publications, and their ability to set up an innovative line of research and acquire research funding;
- have experience in successfully coaching junior Researchers;
- be capable of interdisciplinary collaboration, in particular also in connection with the university's core theme Institutions for Open Societies externe link;
- be inspiring teachers at all academic levels;
- be able and willing to teach in Dutch and in English (candidates who are not yet proficient in Dutch or whose proficiency is insufficient at the time of their appointment will be expected to master the language adequately within two years);
- be an inspiring leader to academic staff who conduct research and provide education in the field of ICC;
- proven interpersonal and organisational skills and also well-grounded skills in communication and management associated with the seniority of the position;
- be able to take up and carry out management tasks, both within the department and in broader circles within the university.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the application link below. Your application should include:
- a letter of motivation;
- a curriculum vitae and a list of publications;
- a concise research plan which shows your connection to the research profile (800 words max.).
Please note that a trial lecture will be part of the application procedure. A formal assessment may be part of the application procedure too.
Application Deadline: 07-Nov-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://www.uu.nl/organisatie/werken-bij-de-universiteit-utrecht/vacatures/chair-full-professor-of-intercultural-communication-10-fte
Professor Dr Peter Schrijver
Page Updated: 14-Oct-2021