LINGUIST List 32.3327
Fri Oct 22 2021
Support: English; Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: PhD, University of Groningen
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Matt Coler <m.coler
English; Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: PhD, University of Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Campus Fryslân
Web Address: https://www.rug.nl/masters/voice-technology/
Institution/Organization: University of Groningen
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology
Speech technology, Voice Technology, Speech Recognition, Speech Synthesis
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The University of Groningen offers a four-year PhD student scholarship to complete a dissertation on a topic related to “speech technology”. The PhD candidate will be supervised by Dr Matt Coler alongside other experts (depending on the topic) and will be a member of the “Language, Technology & Culture” department which is composed of a diverse team of PhD students, postdoctoral researchers and visiting scholars.
The PhD candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School Campus Fryslân (GSCF) and can benefit from affiliations at other faculties at the University of Groningen (Linguistics, A.I., Computer Sciences, among others). If interested, the PhD candidate could also have a role to play in the new Master’s program in Voice Technology.
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a relevant academic field, e.g. Computer Science, AI, Linguistics, Speech processing, etc
- demonstrable affinity with qualitative and quantitative research methods
- programming skills and basic knowledge in machine learning are an advantage
- research experience is an asset
- highly developed conceptual capacity and analytical skills
- very good record of undergraduate and graduate studies
- very good command of spoken and written English. Dutch proficiency is an asset
- very good individual and collaborative working skills
- excellent presentation skills (or the willingness to learn)
- demonstrable planning and organizational skills (or the willingness to learn
- strong motivation to complete a PhD dissertation in four years.
For full details and to apply, please visit the application link below.
Web Address for Applications: https://www.academictransfer.com/en/305635/phd-scholarship-speech-technology-at-campus-fryslan-10-fte/
Page Updated: 22-Oct-2021