LINGUIST List 32.765
Tue Mar 02 2021
Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Technology Linguist, Sensory, Inc.
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Kevin Crooks <kcrooks
English; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Technology Linguist, Sensory, Inc., Portland, Oregon, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Sensory, Inc.
Department: Technology Language
Job Location: Oregon, USA
Web Address: https://www.sensory.com/
Job Title: Technology Linguist
Job Rank: Other; Technology Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): English (eng)
We are looking for a technology linguist to develop speech recognition and language understanding systems for deployment in consumer products. As this position will require working with multiple languages outside of English, a strong knowledge of general linguistic theories is required. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated background in the fundamentals of automated speech recognition, natural language processing, and semantic meaning extraction. The candidate will also have a record of working independently with strong time management skills, flexibility, and reliability.
- 3+ years professional experience in computational linguistics or related field
- M.A. or higher in linguistics or related field
- Fluency in one or more common scripting languages
- Excellent understanding of phonetics, phonological, and acoustic concepts
- Knowledge of fundamentals in hybrid speech recognition, including DNNs and FSTs
- Comfortable with version control systems, preferrably Git
- Demonstrated ability in manipulation of large data sets, including transcription, annotation, and
- Develop and test components of speech technology systems, including: acoustic models,
phonology models, language models, NLU models, dialog systems, and text-normalization and
- Improve speech recognition and synthesis systems with code updates and maintenance, and
- Work with other speech technologists on development and testing of new speech solutions
- Strong background in general linguistic theory across multiple languages
- Experience with audio tools such as Praat, SoundForge, or Audition
- Strong command of phonetic transcription such as IPA, or WorldBet (preferred)
- Experience with programming grammars such as ABNF or SSML
- Experience with parsing systems such as TreeBank or Phoenix
- Programming skills in Tcl, Python, or Ruby
- Preferred experience with programming in C
- Preferred experience with dialogue management systems such as ChatScript
- Preferred experience with word embedding systems such as GloVe, word2vec, or FastText
To apply, please send a cover letter with resume or CV to the application email below.
Application Deadline: This position is closed.
Email Address for Applications: jobs
Manager of Linguistic Technologists Kevin Crooks
Page Updated: 16-Apr-2021