LINGUIST List 32.1119
Mon Mar 29 2021
Jobs: Language Documentation: Contractor, The Language Conservancy
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Dorothea Hoffmann <dorothea
Language Documentation: Contractor, The Language Conservancy, Bloomington, Indiana, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The Language Conservancy
Job Location: Indiana, USA
Web Address: http://languageconservancy.org
Job Title: Indigenous Language Linguist
Job Rank: Other; Contractor
Specialty Areas: Language Documentation
Indigenous Language Linguist
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Linguistic Director, and in close consultation with the Dictionary Dept. Director and Language Education Specialist, the Linguist will perform duties associated with three main areas: language documentation, pedagogical material development, and teaching while maintaining rigorous language quality standards and delivering projects on time and on budget.
Linguist language documentation work will include:
- Fieldwork with native speakers (recording narratives and dialogues)
- Transcribing audio data
- Archiving and cataloging linguistic data for area languages
- Developing and maintaining dictionary databases for area languages
- Text corpus analysis
- Various analyses of linguistic data
Linguist pedagogical material development work will include:
- Customizing and creating language textbooks and related content
- Creating pedagogical grammars
- Creating language learning apps
- Creating dictionaries
- Creating on-line learning tools
Linguist teaching responsibilities, will include:
- Training language teachers in second language teaching methodology
- Teaching grammar awareness to language teachers
- Teaching language classes for second language learners
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to-Coordinating work in collaboration with other departments and partnering organizations, as needed;
- Ensuring the highest standards of grammar, accuracy, format, content and punctuation in all assignments;
- Adhering to all formal organizational policies and procedures;
- Updating internal stakeholders on development activity;
- Participating in regular meetings with organization leadership to track development goals;
- Maintaining a highly organized electronic and paper file system;
- Participating in site visits, trainings, and other job-related travel;
- Conducting other duties as assigned.
Work hours are generally regular; however, the position demand may require extended hours from time to time. Travel will be required to program areas and event area locations. Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds and occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 - 44 pounds is expected. Also, expect frequent use of both hands and fingers (i.e. typing) as well as frequent extended periods of sitting. Work requires regular communication to and from others, in person or remotely, using normal communication methods including telephone, typed or written documents, electronic mail, direct speech, etc.
The Indigenous Language Linguist will report to the Linguistics Director.
Please send Cover letter and CV to the application email provided below.
Application Deadline: This position is closed.
Email Address for Applications: dorothea
Page Updated: 10-May-2021