LINGUIST List 32.1159
Thu Apr 01 2021
Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, Leiden University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Lisa Cheng <L.L.Cheng
Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, Leiden University, Netherlands E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Leiden University
Department: Centre for Linguistics
Job Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Web Address: https://tinyurl.com/w8htyth4
Job Title: Assistant Professor Sociolinguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics
Leiden University Centre for Linguistics is looking for an assistant professor to conduct research and teach undergraduate and graduate courses in sociolinguistics in Leiden and The Hague.
The responsibilities are:
- Teaching and developing relevant courses for the BA programs International Studies, Urban Studies, the Leiden University College, and the Honours College;
- Supervising BA and MA theses;
- Conducting research in the field of sociolinguistics including regular dissemination of results through appropriate channels;
- Securing external funding for research;
- Contributing to organizational activities of the Institute
We are looking for a promising scholar to join our team by bringing in expertise in the study of language in society. An interest in and ability to teach interdisciplinary courses on topics such as multilingualism and migration, political discourse, language and diversity, and language and identity is desirable.
- PhD in Linguistics, Communication Studies, Discourse Studies or other relevant field;
- In-depth knowledge of the most recent developments in sociolinguistics;
- In-depth knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods and techniques;
- Experience with research-driven teaching;
- Proven didactic qualities (teaching evaluations);
- A promising research agenda informed by national and international funding priorities;
- An excellent command of English. If the lecturer is not Dutch-speaking, s/he is expected to acquire a good command of Dutch (level B1) within two years of taking up duty
Please submit online your application no later than April 27, 2021. Your application should include:
- A CV including education and employment history, publications, and courses taught;
- A letter of motivation outlining a research agenda in the field of sociolinguistics and a teaching statement (max 2 pages);
- Two sample course descriptions;
- Names, positions, and email addresses of three referees (no reference letters at this point).
Interviews will be held in the last two weeks of May 2021 (17 - 28 May). A teaching and research presentation will be part of the procedure. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
Enquiries can be made to Prof. Lisa Cheng, the Academic Director of the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics, e-mail wdlucl
To apply, please visit the application link below and then please submit via the blue button on that page.
Application Deadline: 27-Apr-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/vacatures/2021/q1/21-142-8575-assistant-professor-sociolinguistics
Prof. dr. Lisa Cheng
Page Updated: 01-Apr-2021