LINGUIST List 32.1303
Tue Apr 13 2021
Jobs: English; Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories: Associate Professor, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Andrew Weir <andrew.weir
English; Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories: Associate Professor, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Department: Department of Language and Literature
Job Location: Trondheim, Norway
Web Address: https://www.ntnu.edu/isl
Job Title: Associate professor in English linguistics and language acquisition
Job Rank: Associate Professor
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories
Required Language(s): English (eng)
We have a vacancy for a full-time, permanent position as Associate Professor in English linguistics and language acquisition at the Department of Language and Literature. The position encompasses research, teaching, administration, and outreach. The main area of the position is language acquisition in bi- and multilingual speakers (including L2, Ln) where English is one of the languages. Applicants should pursue research from an experimental and formal perspective.
The English section of the Department of Language and Literature currently has 19 permanent employees within three broad areas of specialization – linguistics, literature, and cultural studies – of which 10 are permanent staff in linguistics. The linguistics group is actively engaged in individual and collaborative research projects within theoretical linguistics, psycho- and neurolinguistics, first and second/third language acquisition, sociolinguistics, and translation studies, including a number of active research groups and laboratories. The section offers bachelor’s, master’s and PhD education within a broad spectrum of courses in campus-based programs, and offers continuing education credits in an active distance program. Several MA courses are co-taught with the Nordic, German, and French sections.
The position will be part of the AcqVA research group, which is a joint research group between NTNU and UiT The Arctic University of Norway (Tromsø). The NTNU part of AcqVA includes 7 permanent members of staff, 5 adjunct professors, 3 postdocs, and 9 PhD candidates. The group investigates variation, acquisition, and attrition from a formal grammar perspective, and includes faculty from multiple sections: English, French, German, and Nordic.
It is expected that the employee will:
- Pursue cutting-edge research within their field of specialization and publish regularly in respected international outlets.
- Teach and supervise in relevant courses at all levels, in BA/MA courses, the teacher training program, the MPhil in English Linguistics and Language Acquisition, and our distance and continuing education program Take Credit. The employee will teach courses and supervise theses in language acquisition and will also be required to teach or contribute to teaching in general English linguistics and proficiency. The department puts weight on research-based teaching, but the employee must potentially be prepared to also teach and supervise outside of his/her research area, especially at the first-year undergraduate level.
- Contribute actively to student recruitment and program quality development
- Actively work to establish externally funded research projects
- Take on administrative duties and, potentially, leadership roles in the department
The language of teaching and supervision for this position is English. Administration in the department is predominantly conducted in Norwegian.
For more information and how to apply, please see the application link below.
Application deadline: 08.05.2021
Application Deadline: 08-May-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/202651/associate-professor-in-english-linguistics-and-language-acquisition
Associate Professor Andrew Weir
Page Updated: 13-Apr-2021