LINGUIST List 32.139
Fri Jan 08 2021
Jobs: South Slavic; Bosnian; Croatian; Serbian; Slovenian; Cognitive Science; Morphology; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc, University of Ljubljana
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Christina Manouilidou <Christina.Manouilidou
South Slavic; Bosnian; Croatian; Serbian; Slovenian; Cognitive Science; Morphology; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Ljubljana
Department: Department of Comparative and General Linguistics
Job Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Web Address: https://uni-lj.academia.edu/
Job Title: Assistant with doctorate
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Morphology; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics
Required Language(s): Bosnian (bos) Croatian (hrv) Serbian (srp) Slovenian (slv)
Postdoctoral researcher (“post-doctoral assistant” DM: H019001) in the ESRC project Systematicity and Variation In Word Structure Processing Across Languages: A Neuro-Typology Approach (SAVaNT) at the Department of Comparative and General Linguistics, University of Ljubljana.
- PhD in experimental linguistics/linguistics/cognitive science/psychology/ neuroscience/
- Native/excellent knowledge of Slovenian (and/or Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian) and excellent knowledge of English
- Experience with psycholinguistic/neurolinguistic research (including statistical knowledge, esp. familiarity with R or SPSS and experience with a range of experimental presentation tools, e.g. E-prime)
- Good familiarity with morphological and morphosyntactic theories
- A publication and conference presentation track record attesting to strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience working both independently and collaboratively
Additional experience that will be taken into account:
- Experience with electrophysiology (EEG) and/or magnetoencephalography (MEG)
- Experience with computer programming (e.g., python, Matlab, OpenSesame, Psychopy)
- Experience with public engagement
- Experience with workshop and summer school organization
- Experience with project coordination
The successful candidate will conduct psycholinguistic and neurolinguistic research related to morphological processing within the SAVaNT project. This project investigates how speakers of a diverse range of languages solve the basic problem of detecting, recognizing and interpreting constituent pieces of complex words, by recording their brain activity while they read and judge the well-formedness of familiar and novel words in their language. The branch of the project the candidate will be working on focuses on Slovenian and BCS.
Specific tasks: creation of experimental materials, data collection by using behavioral and brain-imaging techniques (EEG and MEG), data analysis, preparation of manuscripts for publication, organization of workshops, one-on-one mentoring for undergraduate and secondary school students, and project coordination.
The successful candidate will be based at the University of Ljubljana and she/he will be working closely with Dr. Christina Manouilidou (University of Ljubljana) and Dr Rok Žaucer (University of Nova Gorica). The candidate should also be prepared to spend 60 days in the Neuroscience of Language Lab at NYU Abu Dhabi (directed by Prof. Alec Marantz), where the MEG experiment will be conducted, and also travel to London and visit the project’s headquarters at the Morphemes and Meaning Lab, Queen Mary University of London (directed by Dr. Linnaea Stockall). The candidate will benefit from regular contact with members of the team based at these other institutions.
Duration: 36 months
Hours per week: 40
Starting date: May 1st 2021
Official call in Slovenian: https://www.ff.uni-lj.si/sites/www.ff.uni-lj.si/files/documents/Razpis%20-%20Asistent%20z%20doktoratom%20-%20raziskovalec%20-%20Savant%20-%20za%20objavo.pdf
- Statement outlining research interests
- Evidence of meeting the criteria for election into the title of “Assistant with Doctorate”: https://www.uni-lj.si/o_univerzi_v_ljubljani/organizacija__pravilniki_in_porocila/predpisi_statut_ul_in_pravilniki/2013071111373294/
- A statement that you agree that your application will also be treated as application for election to a title.
Two reference letters sent directly to the contact email will be greatly appreciated.
Application Deadline: 20-Jan-2021
Email Address for Applications: jure.prevorsek
Dr Christina Manouilidou
Page Updated: 08-Jan-2021