LINGUIST List 32.1409
Wed Apr 21 2021
Jobs: Japanese; Applied Linguistics: Curriculum Designer, Duolingo
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Jessica Becker <jessica
Japanese; Applied Linguistics: Curriculum Designer, Duolingo, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Duolingo
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Job Title: Curriculum Designer for Japanese
Job Rank: Curriculum Designer; Other
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): Japanese (jpn)
Help improve how millions of people learn languages on Duolingo.
We are looking for a world-class expert in teaching Japanese who has experience working across different educational settings and with learners from a variety of language backgrounds. Our ideal candidate has strong organizational skills, can build effective and engaging course content, and understands the unique challenges of digital education. You will join our team of course designers and help support our efforts to deliver the best language education in the world through evidence-based practices. Join Duolingo to feel empowered as an educator, affecting how millions of people learn!
- Design the curriculum and internal pedagogical resources for Duolingo courses teaching Japanese
- Create content for a variety of features spanning both implicit and explicit teaching of Japanese
- Create assessments of learners’ language knowledge
- Provide Japanese-related pedagogical support to multiple teams
- Help develop and implement efficient processes for scaling the creation of educational content
- Help recruit, train, and supervise other course content creators
- Help communicate the science behind Duolingo’s teaching methodology to a wider audience
- Teaching experience. You have at least 2 years of experience teaching Japanese as a second language.
- Pedagogical expertise. You are familiar with external standards for teaching Japanese (e.g. JLPT), and can design course curricula that effectively scaffold the learning experience for learners with a particular language background.
- Analytical thinking. You are able to think about language in a structured and analytical way. For example, you excel at breaking down grammatical concepts into smaller parts for the purposes of teaching and assessment.
- Language expertise. You have native or near-native proficiency in Japanese and strong familiarity with the Japanese culture.
- Strong communication. You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Operational focus. You are organized and efficient, and strive to continuously improve your workflow and processes.
- MA (or equivalent experience) in Japanese, applied linguistics, linguistics, or a related field
- Ability to work full-time from or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional Candidates Will Have:
- Multilingual language background
- Experience managing people and projects
To apply, please visit the application link below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://boards.greenhouse.io/duolingo/jobs/5165671002
Page Updated: 21-Apr-2021