LINGUIST List 32.1488
Thu Apr 29 2021
Jobs: Language Documentation: Executive Director, 7000 Languages
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Kelsey Riggs <info
Language Documentation: Executive Director, 7000 Languages E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: 7000 Languages
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://www.7000.org/
Job Title: Executive Director
Job Rank: Executive Director; Other
Specialty Areas: Language Documentation; Indigenous Language Reclamation
7000 Languages Seeks Executive Director.
7000 Languages (https://www.7000.org/
) seeks a new Executive Director. Established in 2017, 7000 Languages is a New Hampshire 501(c)3 non-profit organization that helps Indigenous communities around the world to teach, sustain, and learn their languages through the use of language learning technology. We seek an Executive Director to lead 7000 Languages in its continued growth. The ideal candidate will have an educational and practical background in Native American or Indigenous languages, knowledge of language pedagogy and language learning technologies, and excellent interpersonal, leadership, and presentational skills. The Executive Director will: lead a staff of three language professionals; will have primary responsibility for relationships with the language communities with which 7000 Languages works; and will work with the Board of Directors to develop and execute a long-range fundraising program. As a relatively new non-profit organization, 7000 Languages is poised for growth and success, and the Board seeks an Executive Director with enthusiasm for and commitment to the mission of supporting endangered language communities.
Compensation includes a competitive salary, leave benefits, health coverage, and retirement. As 7000 Languages is a technology-based company, we are willing to consider virtual work. 7000 Languages is accepting applications starting immediately.
- Programs and Community Relations:
- Meet with prospective community partners
- Work with community to design the curriculum (structure and content) of Indigenous language courses
- Manage programs of 7000 Languages
- Oversee production of language courses and other instructional materials, including digital flashcards and dictionaries
- Build base of funding through institutional and individual giving
- Identify and network with grant-making foundations
- Write grant proposals and reports
- Create and sustain individual major gift and membership programs
- Manage staff, independent contractors, interns, and volunteers
- Prepare Board agendas and materials
- Responsible for formulating and managing a budget of approx. $300,000
- Experience creating a sustainable funding base for an early-stage non-profit or the energy and interest in doing so
- Understanding of language technologies, especially language-learning software, Natural Language Processing, structured data
- Background in linguistics, language pedagogy, or language acquisition
- Deep understanding of language revitalization and political considerations, including data sovereignty
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Highly collaborative style and the ability to engage with Board, staff, volunteers, and the public
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- The position requires working at a desk and using a computer for prolonged periods of time.
- Some travel required.
Qualified individuals can send their resume with a cover letter to the application email provided below.
7000 Languages is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Remote interview process
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: info
Page Updated: 29-Apr-2021