LINGUIST List 32.1558
Tue May 04 2021
Confs: Forensic Ling, Writing Systems/Online
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Hugo Bowles <hugo.bowles
Decoding Dickens: Contexts, Inspirations, Appraoches (Online symposium) E-mail this message to a friend
Decoding Dickens: Contexts, Inspirations, Appraoches (Online symposium)
Date: 21-May-2021 - 21-May-2021
Location: University of Leicester (Online), United Kingdom
Contact: Claire Wood
Contact Email: < click here to access email >
Meeting URL: https://le.ac.uk/dickens-code/events
Linguistic Field(s): Forensic Linguistics; Writing Systems
An online networking symposium that introduces the ‘savage stenographic mystery’ of Dickens’s shorthand and the challenges of deciphering unusual scripts
Organisers: Dr Claire Wood (University of Leicester) and Professor Hugo Bowles (University of Foggia)
Join us on 21 May, 2pm-6.40pm, to explore Charles Dickens's mysterious shorthand writing and its place within a little-known stenographic culture.
- Learn about the history of shorthand from the seventeenth century through to the nineteenth, as well as Dickens's struggles to master Gurney's Brachygraphy.
- Try your hand at decoding Dickens's shorthand (optional pre-symposium task).
- Hear from curators about fascinating shorthand manuscripts in their collections.
- Engage with a range of inspirational digital humanities projects through case studies presented by 'Dickens Code' network members.
- Reflect upon the challenges of decoding one of Dickens's undeciphered shorthand scripts and hear about approaches rooted in Informatics and Forensic Linguistics.
- Contribute to conversations about how we can involve people in the decoding process - and ultimately crack the 'Dickens Code'!
This free event is open to all with an interest in Dickens, stenography, word puzzles, and digital humanities. It is part of the AHRC-funded 'Dickens Code' project. To book your free place, please visit: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/decoding-dickens-contexts-inspirations-approaches-tickets-152476510347
Page Updated: 04-May-2021