LINGUIST List 32.1573
Thu May 06 2021
Support: Chinese, Mandarin; French; German; Spanish; Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics: PhD, Maynooth University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Ana de Prada Pérez <ana.depradaperez
Chinese, Mandarin; French; German; Spanish; Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics: PhD, Maynooth University, Ireland E-mail this message to a friend
Department: School of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Web Address: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/school-modern-languages
Institution/Organization: Maynooth University
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics
Bilingualism; Language Contact
Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn) French (fra) German (deu) Spanish (spa)
Applications invited for the Doctoral Scholarship in the School of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures
Closing date 31st May 2021
Doctoral Scholarship in the School of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures
The School of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures is pleased to announce that a PhD Scholarship will be available for one student intending to commence PhD studies in October 2021.
Full-time research degree students intending to commence a PhD programme in October 2021 (or on a date to be agreed), i.e. new entrants to PhD or PhD-track programmes, and who have a relevant first-class or 2.1 honours in their primary degree, or have a relevant Master’s degree, are eligible to apply for scholarship support in the School.
The scholarship will entail:
- Full annual tuition fees support;
- A fixed maintenance award of €10k per annum;
- Participation in School activities as part of this scholarship with a requirement to undertake teaching support duties for up to 240 hours per academic year, which will generally include no more than 4 classroom contact hours in any one week. These activities will be carried out under the direction of the Head of School, or a member of staff nominated by the Head. Specific details are outlined in Terms and Conditions below.
The scholarship will be awarded to newly registered students only, for four years of study, subject to satisfactory annual review of progress in research.
The scholarship will be awarded by the School on the basis of research potential of the applicant in an area clearly aligned with the School’s research priorities as they relate to Chinese Studies, French Studies, German Studies, or Spanish and Latin American Studies.*
The School’s research priorities encompass the following:
- Cultural representations of motherhood
- Applied Linguistics & Intercultural Studies
- Cultures of Migration
- 20th & 21st Century Literary and Film Studies
- Cultural representations of conflict/Memory Studies
- Representations of gender
All applicants are required to submit the following as one pdf-file to smllc
mu.ie by the closing
date of 31st May 2021:
- Personal statement (max 300 words)
- Curriculum Vitae (max 2 pages)
- Research proposal (max. 4,000 words to include:
(1) description of the project;
(2) relationship of the proposed project to the state of the art of research in the field;
(3) research question/s;
(4) research methodology;
(5) rationale for carrying out the proposed research project at the MU SMLLC; and
(6) list of works cited)
- Relevant academic final transcripts
Applications that are incomplete or arrive after the closing date will not be considered.
Applicants may be shortlisted for interview and, if so, will be contacted directly by the School.
Visit this page for further information: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/school-modern-languages/phd-opportunities
Web Address for Applications: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/school-modern-languages/phd-opportunities
School of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Page Updated: 06-May-2021