LINGUIST List 32.1682
Thu May 13 2021
Support: German; General Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics: PhD, University of Cologne
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Klaus von Heusinger <klaus.vonheusinger
German; General Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics: PhD, University of Cologne, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
Department: CRC 1252 Prominence in Language
Web Address: https://sfb1252.uni-koeln.de/en/
Institution/Organization: University of Cologne
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics
Required Language(s): German (deu)
The Department of German Language and Literature I at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Cologne is currently seeking to fill the position of a PhD Position (m/f/d) in the Collaborative Research Centre 1252 „Prominence in Language“, sub project C04 “Conceptual and referential activation in discourse” from August 01, 2021 until December 31,2024. Salary is determined following the salary scale E 13 according to German TVL.
As a basis for research sub project C04 Conceptual and referential activation in discourse, we propose that prominence relations are among the core features contributing to referent management - at the level of comprehension and at the level of discourse planning. We suggest that, in referent management, prominence-lending features affect two related processes: activation of a concept and activation of a referent. The overall goal of the project is to develop a discourse model that can account for some key features in discourse processing, in particular for those features that are associated with concept activation and referent activation.
For more information please visit: www.sfb1252.uni-koeln.de
- Prepare, conduct, and analyze story continuation experiments, including statistical analyses
- Support researchers in eye-tracking und ERP experiments
- You will create materials for story continuation experiments and conduct as well as analyze these experiments by yourself.
- You will assist researchers in their eye-tracking and ERP experiments.
- You will present your results at international conferences and make them available to the research community.
- You are capable of working in a team and to work at the interface to related projects.
- You are capable of quickly adapting to new research topics.
- A high knowledge of German in speaking and writing is essential.
- You have earned a university degree with a focus on linguistics.
The University of Cologne is an equal opportunities employer. Applications of women are especially encouraged. Handicapped candidates will be given priority in case of equal professional qualification.
In addition to the usual documents (a cover letter describing the applicant’s qualifications and motivation for applying for this position, CV and copies of the relevant university degree(s) including transcripts), please send your Master's thesis or, if it has not yet been completed, two to three preliminary chapters of the Master's thesis as well as two representative scientific articles. Please do not include a photo with your application.
Please send all documents as a single PDF to the application email: application-sfb1252uni-koeln.de
Applications Deadline: 31-May-2021
Mailing Address for Applications:
Attn: Prof. Dr. Klaus von Heusinger
Albertus Magnus Platz
University of Cologne
Prof. Dr Klaus von Heusinger
Page Updated: 13-May-2021