LINGUIST List 32.1805
Mon May 24 2021
Jobs: English; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Consultant, Appen Butler Hill Inc.
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Janeth Destreza <jdestreza
English; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Consultant, Appen Butler Hill Inc. E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Appen Butler Hill Inc.
Job Location: United Kingdom (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://appen.com/
Job Title: Linguistic Consultant (US English)
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Appen is looking for a native English (US) linguist whose role involves working with our client to support text-to-speech (TTS) development for English (United States).
Data annotation (for example, annotating scripts with characters, dialogue identifiers, and narrative features) and audio quality control (e.g. listening to audio segments and discovering and documenting quality issues in the supplied audio), both using client tools.
- Native speaker of English (US) currently based in UK;
- Master’s degree (or higher) in linguistics, preferably with a focus in phonetics and phonology;
- Strong knowledge of phonetics and phonology;
- Keen awareness of regional pronunciation difference;
- Competence in transcription using IPA and/or X-SAMPA;
- Comfortable working with a computer and learning new software
- Time engagement: 15-20 hours per week
- Graduate-level coursework in articulatory phonetics, speech science, or related fields;
- Academic or professional experience with speech synthesis/text-to-speech system development;
- Experience working with speech recordings
- Current location is in UK
This is a fixed term, part time project for 3 months.
Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions, and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due, and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
To apply, please visit the application link provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: jtabugon
Web Address for Applications: https://tinyurl.com/2tr3ndek
Julienne Kate Tabugon
Page Updated: 28-May-2021