LINGUIST List 32.2100
Thu Jun 17 2021
Jobs: Morphology; Phonology: Assistant Professor, McMaster University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Bianca James <jamesb4
Morphology; Phonology: Assistant Professor, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: McMaster University
Department: Linguistics and Languages
Job Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Web Address: https://linguistics.humanities.mcmaster.ca/
Job Title: CLA Position in Linguistics with Specialization in Phonology
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Morphology; Phonology
Area of specialization: phonology and experimental/laboratory phonology; expertise in morphology would be an asset.
Areas of competence:
At the time of appointment, applicants should have a Ph.D. in linguistics, with evidence of strong teaching performance and research productivity. The focus of the position is on teaching. Courses to be taught will include a selection from the following, aligning with the candidate’s expertise -- undergraduate and graduate phonology, a lab seminar on experimental/laboratory phonology; morphology; statistics; research methods; psycholinguistics; programming for linguists. Service contributions will be an important component of this position. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a willingness and ability to contribute to the department’s collegial and collaborative intellectual community as well as university-wide inclusive excellence goals and priorities.
- The starting date for the appointment is scheduled for August 1, 2021. Duration of the appointment is until June 30, 2023, with a possibility of a renewal.
- Duties include 21 units (7 semester-long courses) of teaching per academic year and additional administrative responsibilities. The breakdown of the load is 80/20 (teaching/service).
How to Apply:
Please submit the following materials through the University’s electronic portal found at the application link below [Job Opening 38435] by July 7, 2021. Applicants will need to create a Mac ID if they do not currently have one by selecting “Register Now”. Applications received by July 7, 2021 will receive full consideration but the position will remain open until filled.
Interested applicants must submit in one PDF file the following:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae (applicants are encouraged to describe the impact that career interruptions have had on research productivity, if applicable)
- Teaching statement detailing interests and philosophy, including evidence of teaching effectiveness (2-3 page maximum)
- Research statement (1-2 page maximum)
- Equity, diversity and inclusion statement describing any contributions made or planned in relation to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion or inclusive excellence in teaching, research or service within higher education, community-based or other profession settings (2-page maximum)
- 1 representative paper which may include published papers, papers under review and manuscripts.
Letters of reference are not required and will not be reviewed at the application stage; the Department will request letters of recommendation from referees at later stages of the search process. We ask that in order to minimize bias in the selection process, you do not include the names of referees in the initial application.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. To comply with the Government of Canada’s reporting requirements, the University gathers information about applicants’ status as either a permanent resident of Canada or Canadian citizen. Applicants need not identify country of origin or current citizenship; however, all applications must include one of the following statements:
- Yes, I am a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- No, I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
Inquiries about uploading applications and other inquiries may be directed to Antoinette Somo at the contact information below.
Application Deadline: 07-Jul-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://hr.mcmaster.ca/careers/current-opportunities/
Page Updated: 17-Jun-2021