LINGUIST List 32.2254
Fri Jul 02 2021
Jobs: English; Clinical Linguistics: Researcher, University of Iowa Health Care
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Stacy Pruter <stacy-pruter
English; Clinical Linguistics: Researcher, University of Iowa Health Care, Iowa, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Iowa Health Care
Job Location: Iowa, USA
Web Address: https://uihc.org/primary-and-specialty-care/otolaryngology
Job Title: Research Assistant
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Clinical Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
University of Iowa Health Care, Department of Otolaryngology is seeking a Research Assistant to support a research project on speech perception and language comprehension in people with hearing impairments. This work is a part of a large research team that includes the PI, and several staff members, as well as graduate and undergraduate students, and is integrated with the Iowa Cochlear Implant Research Center which comprises implant surgeons, audiologists, and research support for a range of teams examining hearing loss at the level of the psychosocial system, the peripheral auditory system, and the cortical and cognitive processes involved in listening.
Responsibilities include recruiting diverse subject populations, including people who use Cochlear Implants and hearing aids; interfacing with clinical staff in Otolaryngology to ensure and validate audiological care and history; performing language, cognition and hearing assessments on these individuals; testing them in eye-tracking and other experimental paradigms; assisting in experiment design and development; managing data; and participating in other research tasks.
Key areas of responsibilities include conducting research activities/experiments, collecting, analyzing and summarizing data, preparing reports, contributing to manuscripts/publications, administrative and project management, facilities and equipment management, and supervision/staffing.
Bachelor’s degree in psychology, speech and hearing science, linguistics, cognitive science, neuroscience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience such that one can perform beginning level research in psychology.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to learn new technical skills quickly.
- Experience with experimental research on human subjects.
- Ability to perform and score standardized clinical assessments of language and cognition, or to rapidly learn those skills.
- Experience working effectively with older individuals and/or people with hearing loss.
- Ability to supervise undergraduate students.
- Demonstrate attention to detail, accuracy, and strong organizational skills.
- Flexible schedule is required.
- 6 months research experience in psychology, speech pathology or audiology, preferably in cognitive psychology or hearing science.
- Fluency in English at the level of a native speaker.
- Experience in a hospital or other clinical setting.
- Experience with eye-tracking hardware and software or experience with related techniques like EEG, pupillometry, psychophysiology.
- Experience with audio equipment, speech processing or speech synthesis packages, and/or acoustic analysis.
- Experience with computer programming (any language).
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and/or Microsoft Access
In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume, cover letter and 3 references that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://uiowa.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/research-assistant-13317
HR Generalist Stacy Pruter
Page Updated: 02-Jul-2021