LINGUIST List 32.2289
Tue Jul 06 2021
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
MANUEL PADILLA CRUZ <mpadillacruz
10th International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: 10th International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics
Short Title: EPICS X
Date: 23-May-2022 - 25-May-2022
Location: Seville, Spain
Contact Person: MANUEL PADILLA CRUZ
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://eventos.upo.es/go/EPICSX
Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics
Call Deadline: 01-Dec-2021
The research group “Intercultural Pragmatic Studies (English-Spanish): Pragmatic and Discourse Issues” is pleased to announce the upcoming Tenth International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics (EPICS X, after the Spanish acronym for “Encuentros de Pragmática Intercultural, Cognitiva y Social”). EPICS X will be held on May 23 - 25 2022, at the Faculty of Humanities of Pablo de Olavide University, Seville (Spain).
Conference theme: “Pragmatics in times of global crisis: exploring communication online and offline”.
- Anne Barron, Leuphana Universität Lüneburg.
- Nuria Lorenzo-Dus, Swansea University.
- Crispin Thurlow, Universität Bern.
EPICS X is intended to be held on campus, as a face-to-face academic event. Yet, facilities for remote presentation and participation would be offered for those participants from countries with travel restrictions. If the sanitary situation unfortunately worsened, EPICS X will be held fully online.
Call for Papers:
1. PRESENTATION TYPES
Presentations must be in English and address any of the subjects that fall under the conference topics (see below) or on any related topic connected with pragmatics. Presentations may be made of any of the following types:
A) INDIVIDUAL ORAL PRESENTATIONS
20 min. + 10 min. Q&D
B) THEMED PANELS
A number of thematically-related papers, each of which must be 20 min. + 10 min. for Q&D. Proposals for panels must also include a chair.
Please obey the following norms:
- Measures: 118,9 x 84,1 cm (A0).
- Printed in colour or in black and white.
- There will not be printing facilities at the conference venue.
- New or recent interactions between different frameworks or approaches in pragmatics.
- Sociocultural and cognitive factors affecting production and comprehension of language/discourse in face-to-face or mediated (by telephone, computer, etc.) communication in a variety of genres (included social networks like Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and settings (classroom, parliaments, service encounters, etc.).
- Impact of culture and context on pragmatic processes in comprehension.
- New developments, interactions or challenges in pragmatic analyses of:
- Morphology, lexicon, syntax and/or prosody.
- Procedural meaning.
- Types of discourse (professional, academic, political, religious, humorous, etc.).
- (Im)Politeness and relational work in diverse settings and communication modes.
- Language aggression and conflict.
- Expression and processing of emotions.
- Projection and understanding of identity.
- Figures of speech (irony, metaphor, hyperbole, etc.).
- Interlanguage pragmatic development.
- Translation and interpreting.
- Online vs. offline communication and discourse.
- Experimental testing.
- Instructional pragmatics and methodological proposals for pragmatics teaching.
Proposals must be sent through the conference website: http://eventos.upo.es/go/EPICSX
Please make sure that your submission includes the following information:
A) ORAL PRESENTATIONS AND POSTERS
- A Word/pdf file with an anonymised one-page abstract no longer than 350 words. Please name this file “Abstract_Surname”.
- A Word/pdf file, named “Data_Surname”, containing the following information:
- Author’s/Authors’ name(s) and affiliation(s)
- Title of paper
- Topic(s) addressed (from among those in the list of topics above)
- Up to five keywords
- Audio-visual equipment required (computer, video, etc.)
- E-mail address(es)
- Postal address(es)
- If the paper or poster cannot be presented on a particular day of the conference.
B) THEMED PANELS
In addition to the two files containing the abstract and the information alluded to above for each presentation, panel proposals must also include a one-page abstract no longer than 350 words for the whole panel.
Deadline for receipt of abstracts is December 1, 2021. Proposals will be peer-reviewed and notification of acceptance will be sent by January 17, 2022.
Page Updated: 06-Jul-2021