LINGUIST List 32.2311
Thu Jul 08 2021
Jobs: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics: Lecturer, University of California, Irvine
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Michelle Hu <mahu
Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics: Lecturer, University of California, Irvine, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of California, Irvine
Department: Program in Global Languages and Communication
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: https://www.humanities.uci.edu/glc/
Job Title: UCI Lecturer Program in Global Languages & Communication 2021-2022
Job Rank: Lecturer
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics
The Program in Global Languages & Communication (GLC) at the University of California, Irvine anticipates hiring teacher-scholars at the rank of Lecturer to teach courses and to participate in other departmental activities for the 2021-22 academic year. GLC offers courses in a range of languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, Tagalog, and Vietnamese) along with graduate and undergraduate courses in academic English for multilingual students. Our courses for graduate students in academic English include introduction to graduate writing, thesis/dissertation writing, writing for scholarly publication, along with courses in speaking/listening.
The primary anticipated instructional need for 2021-22 is in our undergraduate courses in academic English (writing courses and reading/vocabulary courses).
The default appointment for successful candidates will be a full-time, 100% time appointment. UCI runs on a quarter (trimester) system, which involves 10 weeks of instruction per quarter. A 100% appointment equates to 8 10-week classes per year (e.g., 3 in fall quarter, 3 in winter quarter, 2 in spring quarter). The position comes with the possibility of reappointment, contingent on Program need, budget, and the instructor’s performance.
- Doctoral degree in Applied Linguistics or a related field. Candidates whose highest degree is a Master’s degree and have maintained a strong record of demonstrated competence in the field (such as through ongoing scholarly activity or another means), ability in teaching, and academic responsibility will also be considered.
- Ability to teach writing, reading, and/or oral communication courses that align with the Program's goals of serving the diverse literacy needs of multilingual students at a research university.
- Cross-cultural teaching experience that includes, is equivalent to, or is translatable to the teaching of multilingual students at the college/university level at a research university.
- Ability to contribute to curriculum and course materials development drawing on recent and relevant research in applied linguistics and related fields
- Record of ongoing scholarly activity including, but not limited to, publications in peer-reviewed venues
- Record of ongoing professional development and achievement
- Ability to teach graduate-level courses in academic English including Dissertation Writing and Writing for Scholarly Publication courses
- Ability to teach courses in any of the Program’s languages other than English
The non-negotiable starting salary, per the 2021-22 Lecturer salary scale, is $7,118.13 per course or $56,945/year for a 100% appointment. All appointments at 50% or higher include UCI’s full benefits.
Applications should be submitted electronically at the application link provided below.
For more information, please contact: Kristine Wang at the contact information below.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Application Deadline: 12-Mar-2022
Web Address for Applications: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF06693
Personnel Analyst Kristine Wang
Page Updated: 08-Jul-2021