LINGUIST List 32.26
Mon Jan 04 2021
Support: Turkic; Turkish; General Linguistics: PhD, University of Cologne
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Klaus von Heusinger <klaus.vonheusinger
Turkic; Turkish; General Linguistics: PhD, University of Cologne, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
Institution/Organization: University of Cologne
Department: CRC 1252 Prominence in Language
Web Address: https://sfb1252.uni-koeln.de/en/
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Required Language(s): Turkish (tur)
The Department of German Language and Literature I at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Cologne is currently seeking to fill the position of a PhD Position (m/f/d) in the Collaborative Research Centre 1252 „Prominence in Language“, sub project B04 “Interaction of nominal and verbal features for Differential Object Marking” from April 01, 2021 until March 31, 2022 (65%, 25.89 hours/week) with the possibility to extend the contract until December 31,2024. Salary is determined following the salary scale E 13 according to German TVL.
The project aims at modeling Differential Object Marking (DOM) as a result of a complex interaction of nominal and verbal prominence-lending properties. One of the major challenges is to develop a model that allows for variation on both the micro level between closely related varieties and the macro level between Spanish and Turkish. Though manifesting commonalities in DOM with respect to its semantic/pragmatic function, Spanish and Turkish provide interesting divergences on the ranking of prominence-lending features, their interaction with structural conditions of the particular variety, and the way DOM is expressed.
For more information please visit: www.sfb1252.uni-koeln.de/vacancies
- Prepare, conduct, and evaluation of corpus analyses
- Support of elicitation experiments
- You will compile and statistically evaluate data on differential object marking in Turkish from different corpora.
- You will prepare, conduct and statistically evaluate elicitation experiments on differential object marking in Turkish.
- You will present your results at international conferences and make them available to the research community.
- You are capable of working in a team and to work at the interface to related projects.
- You are capable of quickly adapting to new research topics.
- Prerequisites are Turkish at native speaker level and fluent English. Very good German language skills are an advantage.
- You should have should have an efficient and above-averagely well-organised and results-oriented working style.
- You have earned a university degree with a focus on linguisitcs.
The University of Cologne is an equal opportunities employer. Applications of women are especially encouraged. Handicapped candidates will be given priority in case of equal professional qualification.
In addition to the usual documents (a cover letter describing the applicant’s qualifications and motivation for applying for this position, CV and copies of the relevant university degree(s) including transcripts), please send your Master's thesis or, if it has not yet been completed, two to three preliminary chapters of the Master's thesis as well as two representative scientific articles. Please do not include a photo with your application.
Please send all documents as a single PDF to the application email below.
Closing date is January 31, 2021.
Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2021
Email Address for Applications: application-sfb1252
Prof. Dr. Klaus von Heusinger
Institut für Deutsche Sprache und Literatur I
Page Updated: 04-Jan-2021