LINGUIST List 32.2628
Thu Aug 12 2021
Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Language Engineer, Amazon
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Eva Kolarova <ekkolar
Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Language Engineer, Amazon, Cambridge, United Kingdom E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Amazon
Department: TTS (Text-to-Speech)
Job Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://www.amazon.science/
Job Title: TTS Language Engineer - English / Italian / Spanish / Hindi / Japanese
Job Rank: Language Engineer; Other
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Do you want to work on one of the coolest and most innovative pieces of technology in recent years? Come join us! We're the Text to Speech (TTS) team at Amazon. We build best-in-class TTS solutions and create magical experiences on Amazon's growing portfolio of speech products.
We are looking for a passionate, talented, and technology-savvy language engineer to help build an industry-leading portfolio of TTS voices grounded on the most recent advances in speech and language technology. Our mission is to push the envelope in Text-to-Speech (TTS) in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers. Your role is to leverage your strong background in linguistics and language technology to help build the next generation of our synthetic voices used by millions of customers every day. In this role, you will be a key member in new feature development.
As a TTS Language Engineer you will work alongside audio engineers, researchers, and software developers who are subject matter experts in speech synthesis and related fields. You will actively collaborate with program managers to deliver new voice products to Amazon customers on international scale. You will be working on a variety of tasks — from NLP and ML to linguistics as it relates to TTS, all to create new voices and experiences. You will bootstrap and test new functionalities, analyze system performance and identify areas for improvement. You will collaborate with other language engineers and data associates in data collection and quality evaluation.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with speech and text processing techniques, with solid knowledge of linguistics or phonetics. We are particularly interested in candidates with experience in training and evaluation of machine learning and deep learning models. The successful candidates will link customer requirements to high-quality speech processing components and lead the development process in a cross-functional team.
- Native or near-native fluency in any of the following: English, Italian, Spanish, Hindi, Japanese
- Undergraduate degree in Computational Linguistics, Speech Sciences, Linguistics, or a related field
- Knowledge of machine learning and commonly used ML packages and libraries
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Python, Perl, Ruby, Bash)
- Knowledge of phonetics/phonology and ability to create/fix phonetic transcriptions and experience with regular expressions
- Working proficiency in English
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux command line tools
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Native or near-native fluency in English
- PhD in Computational Linguistics (or equivalent field with computational emphasis); alternatively, 5 years’ experience in the field
- Experience with machine learning or building machine/deep learning models
- Hands-on experience working with NLP or Speech Processing
- Experience investigating the feasibility of applying scientific principles and concepts to business problems and products
- Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies related to foreign languages, linguistics, phonetics, phonology and language technology
- Practical knowledge of version control systems (e.g. Git) and agile development
- Feeling comfortable and motivated when working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
Submit your application via the application link below or alternatively get in touch by email to Eva Kolarova, Technical Recruiter, via the contact information below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/1623305/tts-language-engineer
Miss Eva Kolarova
Page Updated: 12-Aug-2021