LINGUIST List 32.2803
Fri Sep 03 2021
Jobs: Language Acquisition; Language Documentation: Documentary Linguist, The Language Conservancy
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Dorothea Hoffmann <dorothea
Language Acquisition; Language Documentation: Documentary Linguist, The Language Conservancy, Indiana, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The Language Conservancy
Job Location: Indiana, USA
Web Address: https://languageconservancy.org/
Job Title: Documentary Linguist
Job Rank: Linguist; Other
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Second Language Acquisition, Language Revitalization
Do you enjoy the satisfaction of making a difference in the world with the work you do? Do you have exemplary linguistic abilities with a successful track record of working with Indigenous communities? Are you known for being organized and able to manage multiple projects and meet tight time frames? Can you implement an organization’s strategic vision, while working with an entrepreneurial spirit? If you answered YES to these questions, we want to meet you!
The Language Conservancy, a leading nonprofit organization that assists Indigenous communities preserve their endangered languages, is currently seeking a full-time, in-office, experienced linguist with excellent communication and organizational skills to join our team. Candidates must be personable, out-going, and have the ability to implement the organization’s language revitalization strategy. They must have an enthusiastic and positive attitude and take pride in their work.
Required Competencies & Experience:
- PhD preferably in Descriptive, Documentary or Applied Linguistics, or related field.
- Demonstrated work with one or more Indigenous languages.
- Strong background or experience in analytical/descriptive linguistics as well as in various areas of applied linguistics, such as lexicography and second language acquisition.
- Minimum of four (4) years of linguistic experience in language documentation, pedagogical material development, and/or teaching.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, with a demonstrated ability to meet schedules and manage multiple deadlines while maintaining the highest quality of work.
- Excellent ability to maintain a clear overview of area languages and their documentation, while keeping track of the amassed data.
- Able to think strategically and to organize and prioritize work with a strong attention to detail.
- Able to respond quickly to opportunities and to changing priorities, and adapt to shifting duties while maintaining focus and follow-through.
- Strong computer skills, especially with various linguistic software utilities such as for: lexical databases (TLEX, Toolbox, FleX), text corpus analysis software (e.g. aConCorde or Wordsmith, RegEx searches, etc.), audio recording/editing and analysis software, etc. as well as word processing, spreadsheet, database, and email and internet usage.
- Able to relate well to people from a wide range of backgrounds and forge mutually respectful partnerships.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Self-motivated and disciplined.
- Strong social skills- essential for doing fieldwork and pedagogical work with community members from different cultural backgrounds.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly turn around projects.
- Ability to provide creative solutions to the unique linguistic needs of each language
- Strong budget management skills.
- Knowledge of instructional methodologies and ability to teach in a manner consistent with the values of the organization.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
The Language Conservancy is seeking a Linguist for linguistic and language revitalization work on a variety of indigenous languages. Under the direction of the Linguistic Director, and in close consultation with the Dictionary Dept Coordinator and Language Education Specialist, the TLC Linguist will perform duties associated with three main areas- language documentation, pedagogical material development, and teaching while maintaining rigorous language quality standards and delivering projects on time and on budget.
To apply, please provide a CV and cover letter to the email provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: dorothea
Dr. Dorothea Hoffmann
Page Updated: 03-Sep-2021