LINGUIST List 32.2881
Fri Sep 10 2021
Confs: Cognitive Science, Computational Linguistics/Netherlands
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
Patricia Mirabile <p.l.mirabile
Workshop on Stereotypes in Language E-mail this message to a friend
Workshop on Stereotypes in Language
Date: 15-Sep-2021 - 17-Sep-2021
Location: Online, Netherlands
Contact: Patricia Mirabile
Contact Email: < click here to access email >
Meeting URL: https://generics-illc.netlify.app/workshop/
Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics
Please join us for an online workshop on Stereotypes in Language which will be held on the afternoons of September 15th and September 17th, 2021. The workshop will feature talks from linguists, psychologists and NLP researchers and aims to discuss current research on stereotypes from a diversity of view points.
### Wednesday, September 15, 2021
- 13:45 - 14:45 - Kenny Smith \& Douglas Martin: The cultural evolution of language and stereotypes.
- 14:45 - 15:15 - Rochelle Choenni: Stephmothers are mean and academics are pretentious: What do pretrained language models learn about you?
- 15:15 - 15:45 - Oskar van der Wal: Bias in NLP: a technical approach to a social problem.
- 15:45 - 16:00 - Break
- 16:00 - 17:00 - Su Lin Blodgett: TBA
### Friday, September 17, 2021
- 14:30 - 15:30 - Andrei Cimpian: The Cognitive Structure of Stereotypes: Implications for Stereotype Accuracy.
- 15:30 - 16:30 - Maribel Romero: TBA
- 16:30 - 17:30 - Patricia Mirabile, Robert van Rooij \& Katrin Schulz: Learning generics statements: The role of distinctiveness and impact.
- 17:30 - 18:30 - MH Tessler: The Language of Category Generalizations: Probability, Vagueness, and Prior Expectations.
Page Updated: 10-Sep-2021