LINGUIST List 32.2989
Tue Sep 21 2021
Jobs: Semantics; Syntax: Assistant Professor - Syntax / Semantics, San José State University
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Stefan Frazier <stefan.frazier
Semantics; Syntax: Assistant Professor - Syntax / Semantics, San José State University, San José, CA, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: San José State University
Department: Linguistics and Language Development
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: https://www.sjsu.edu/linguistics/
Job Title: Assistant Professor - Syntax / Semantics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Semantics; Syntax
Please see the application link below for full position description.
The Department of Linguistics and Language Development at San José State University is pleased to announce a position in Syntax / Semantics at the rank of Assistant Professor. SJSU is the only CSU campus in northern California with a dedicated linguistics department, founded in 1991. Situated in the Bay Area—among the most diverse regions in the world—the Department is committed to fostering understandings of language structure and use in the context of an increasingly multicultural and technological society. The Department is further dedicated to exploring societal inequities, how language contributes to those, and how such inequities may be alleviated through research, scholarship, and practice. Find out more about our department at https://www.sjsu.edu/linguistics/
The Department offers a bachelor’s degree in linguistics, an MA in linguistics, and a MA in TESOL. We are also currently developing a master’s of science degree program in computational linguistics.
The Department of Linguistics and Language Development and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university’s commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
- Ph.D in linguistics or a related field by the time of appointment
- Demonstrated ability to teach courses and conduct research in syntax / semantics
- Strong commitment to teamwork and collegiality
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience
- Ability to teach a variety of approaches to linguistics, as well as some commonly used in computational linguistics
- Experience in designing and developing graduate level courses and programs
- Evidence of both undergraduate and graduate mentoring
- Ability to seek and secure grant funding
- Commitment to collaboration within and across institutional contexts
- Experience working with Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom, and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusion of these groups within higher education and the field of Linguistics shape patterns of participation and outcomes
Please apply via the application link below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.sjsu.edu/en-us/job/504859/assistant-professor-linguistics-syntax-semantics
Department Chair Stefan Frazier
Phone: 408 924 4443
Page Updated: 21-Sep-2021