LINGUIST List 32.3027
Fri Sep 24 2021
Jobs: Lexicography; Ling & Literature: Assistant Thesaurus Editor, Modern Language Association
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Gregory Grazevich <ggrazevich
Lexicography; Ling & Literature: Assistant Thesaurus Editor, Modern Language Association, New York, NY, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Modern Language Association
Department: Bibliographic Information Services
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: https://www.mla.org/About-Us/Employment
Job Title: Assistant Thesaurus Editor
Job Rank: Assistant Editor
Specialty Areas: Lexicography; Ling & Literature
The Modern Language Association’s office of bibliographic information services seeks an assistant thesaurus editor to coordinate work on subject indexing terms used in the MLA International Bibliography. The MLA Thesaurus is a set of controlled vocabularies developed by the MLA and continually revised and updated to ensure they represent current scholarly usage.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining the terms file of the Thesaurus and reconciles the bibliography indexing with the terms file
- Proofreads, edits, and takes responsibility for quality control of subject index terms in assigned sections of the bibliography
- Assists in maintaining the names-works file of the Thesaurus
- Advises the associate director on matters related to the Thesaurus
- Advanced degree in literature, linguistics, or a related field or in library/information science
- Reading knowledge of at least one language other than English
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Organizational acumen
- Ability to work independently
- Work experience involving metadata or controlled vocabularies is preferred.
This is a full-time position that may require two days each week on-site at the MLA offices in downtown New York City during the training period, depending on the candidate’s qualifications and performance. The MLA provides generous vacation and sick time, flexible work hours, a 403(b) retirement plan, and individual health and dental plans with no shared premium cost. You must be able to work legally in New York State. Please submit a cover letter and résumé to the application email below. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The MLA is an equal opportunity employer and is firmly committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity (EEO) laws.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: ThesEditor
Page Updated: 24-Sep-2021