LINGUIST List 32.3223
Tue Oct 12 2021
Jobs: Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Applied Linguistics/TESOL, University of Memphis
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Lyn Wright <ewfogle
Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Applied Linguistics/TESOL, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Memphis
Job Location: Tennessee, USA
Web Address: https://www.memphis.edu/english/
Job Title: Assistant Professor, Applied Linguistics/TESOL
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
The Department of English at the University of Memphis seeks candidates for an Assistant Professor position in Applied Linguistics and TESOL to begin Fall 2022. We welcome applications from applied linguists whose empirical research is grounded in contemporary approaches to Linguistics and TESOL and who can contribute to our current foci in language teaching and learning, English language teacher education, language and cognition, language policy, and language in society, among others. We have a particular interest in candidates whose work engages with applied approaches to the study of corpus linguistics, phonetics and phonology, syntax, assessment, or technology and language teaching and learning.
We seek a candidate who will embrace the interdisciplinary work of the English Department and contribute to the antiracist and inclusive initiatives underway at the department and university level. The successful candidate will teach in their areas of research and expertise, advise doctoral students, contribute to the AL/TESOL curriculum, and strengthen interdisciplinary and community ties with the local TESOL educators.
The department offers degrees in English with concentrations in TESOL at the undergraduate and Master’s level and Applied Linguistics at the Undergraduate, Master’s, and Doctoral level. Students may complete the M.A. online. The Applied Linguistics Program also offers a 15-credit-hour graduate certificate program in TESOL, conducts a summer EFL institute in Pilsen, Czech Republic, and works closely with local school systems.
See the department website at https://cas.memphis.edu/english/
for more information. All applications will be managed through the University’s online application system, WorkForUM, available at https://workforum.memphis.edu/
Minimum position qualifications:
- PhD in Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, or TESOL and/or related field (ABD will be considered). Ph.D. preferred by May 2022.
- Evidence of teaching excellence.
- Willingness to follow department-directed course objectives and outcomes.
- Evidence of initial scholarly achievement and a clearly articulated research agenda pertinent to TESOL/Applied Linguistics.
- Research and teaching experience in TESOL, including English language teaching/learning in K-12 environments.
- Special preference given to candidates with expertise in one or more of the following areas: corpus linguistics, assessment, phonetics/phonology, syntax, technology and language teaching.
- Willingness and ability to teach online courses.
- Demonstrated commitment to scholarship related to diversity and inclusion and teaching a diverse student population.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line. To apply, visit the application link below.
The University of Memphis is an Equal Employment /Affirmative Action Employer. We urge all qualified applicants to apply for this position. Appointment will be based on qualifications as they relate to position requirements without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, or status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class.
Application Deadline: 08-Nov-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://workforum.memphis.edu/postings/28998
Page Updated: 12-Oct-2021