LINGUIST List 32.3234
Thu Oct 14 2021
Jobs: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Syntax: Machine Learning Data Linguist, Amazon
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Emily Moeng <emimoeng
Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Syntax: Machine Learning Data Linguist, Amazon, San Francisco, CA, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Amazon
Department: Amazon Web Services
Job Location: California, USA
Job Title: Machine Learning Data Linguist
Job Rank: Data Associate; Other
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Syntax
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a data associate to help with annotations and data analysis.
As part of the AiData Team at AWS you will responsible for delivering high-quality training data to ensure the best performance of the AWS machine learning systems. Our goal is to produce the highest quality training data in the industry and to delight our customers by improving human language understanding and natural language processing. This is a Fixed Term Contractor role. Initial Term is 12 months with a possibility of extension once on-boarded.
- Annotate text data, identifying linguistic categories based on detailed annotation guidelines.
- Collect and organize text data from online sources.
- Provide feedback to Language Engineers and Scientists on tool improvements and annotation processes.
- Native or near-native English speaker.
- Experience with data annotation, linguistic annotation and other forms of data markup.
- Experience identifying linguistic ambiguity and annotation inaccuracies in data.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as Linguistics, Communications, a foreign language, or other language or data-related disciplines.
- Proficient in German, Italian, Portuguese, Catalan, Hindi, Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, Afrikaans, Norwegian, Dutch, Japanese, or another foreign language.
- Ability to strictly adhere to annotation guidelines, think abstractly about language, and identify basic parts of speech.
- Depth and breadth of knowledge in linguistic theory and/or applied linguistics.
- Familiarity with common text processing tools.
- Familiarity with json, yaml, xml or other forms of text markup.
- Ability to work in different operating systems (Windows, MacOS, or Linux).
- Ability to navigate a Unix terminal and use common command line tools.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other data associates on a team.
- Ability to deliver high quality results under tight deadlines.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, collaborative work environment.
- Passion for language, linguistics, human language technology and AI.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Please apply via the application link below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/1707935/ml-data-linguist-ftc?no_int_redir=1
Page Updated: 14-Oct-2021