LINGUIST List 32.3238
Thu Oct 14 2021
Jobs: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics: Lecturer of Linguistics, University of Newcastle, Australia
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Kiwako Ito <kiwako.ito
Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics: Lecturer of
Linguistics, University of Newcastle, Australia, Callaghan, NSW, Australia E-mail this
message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Newcastle, Australia
Job Location: Callaghan, NSW, Australia
Web Address: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/school/humanities-social-science/clusters/hcsf
Job Title: Lecturer of Linguistics
Job Rank: Lecturer
Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics
The Discipline of Linguistics at The University of Newcastle (Australia) invites applications for an ongoing Lecturer (Level B) position
commencing in January 2022.
Preferable Commencement Date: January 2022
*Subject to change based on travel restrictions by Australian government
Deadline: November 8, 2021
(or evidence of imminent completion of PhD) in linguistics or a related discipline that includes specialization in computational linguistics (e.g., computer science or psychology)
experience in at least one of the following: computational linguistics, corpus construction and analysis, cognitive linguistics, psycholinguistics, and/or quantitative methods.
- Experience in teaching/supervising
- A track record of scholarly publications and/or grant application writing.
- Proficiency in either Mandarin Chinese or Arabic.
- Interest in developing interdisciplinary research projects,
including in cognitive science, and/or in endangered or Indigenous languages.
Teaching responsibilities will include:
- Introductory and advanced linguistics courses for undergraduate students.
- Courses in the Master of
Translation Studies program.
- Supervision of projects for Honours, Master of Translation Studies, and PhD theses.
Research opportunities in the post include:
- Access to UoN College of Human and Social Futures internal
funding for pilot studies and for early career development
- Collaboration on Master of Translation Studies Database Construction Project
- Collaboration on the Australian Research Council-funded Landscape, language and culture in
Indigenous Australia project on spatial language and spatial cognition in Indigenous language communities.
- Collaboration on the Australia Research Data Commons-funded Time-Layered Cultural Map of Australia 2.0 project.
Please apply via the application link below.
Application Deadline: 26-Nov-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://uniofnewcastle.secure.force.com/academicext/ts2__JobDetails?jobId=a0N5g000000IkHKEA0&tSource=
Associate Professor Kiwako Ito
Phone: 61 2 49216109
Page Updated: 14-Oct-2021