LINGUIST List 32.337
Wed Jan 27 2021
Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics; Semantics: Post Doc, Leibniz-Zentrum Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Uli Sauerland <sauerland
Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics; Semantics: Post Doc, Leibniz-Zentrum Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft, Berlin, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Leibniz-Zentrum Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
Department: Semantics & Pragmatics
Job Location: Berlin, Germany
Web Address: https://www.leibniz-zas.de/en/research/research-areas/semantics-pragmatics
Job Title: 2 year postdoc in ERC project LeibnizDream
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics; Semantics
The Leibniz-Center General Linguistics (ZAS, www.leibniz-zas.de
) invites applications for a two-year full-time post-doctoral research position in the ERC research project LeibnizDream (www.leibnizdream.eu
), Generator group, PI Uli Sauerland starting in summer/fall, 2021 or soon thereafter. Pay is at the E13 level of the German TVöD payscale. Applications for less than full-time hours will be considered.
- Application deadline: March 8th, 2021
- Start date: September 1st, 2021 (negotiable)
- Address for applications: leibnizdream
- Completed Ph.D. by the time of appointment
- Strong research experience relevant to the project goals
- Cross-linguistic semantics and fieldwork
- Language acquisition
- Syntax/semantics interface and morpho-semantics
- Experimental methods and statistics
- Tech skills for collaborative, open science and computational methods
- Proven team-work skills
You work in different small teams with experts on language acquisition and morphology to design and evaluate cross-linguistic acquisition studies to test the Meaning First view of grammar the project is based on. The comparative experiments are carried out across up to 50 different languages in collaboration with partners across the globe following the specification of the project grant. You lead one such study and contribute to up to three others as the semanticist.
We target six different areas of morpho-syntax/semantics 1) the expression of causation and agency, and 2) change of state and motion, 3) the binary connectives, 4) negative concepts such as exclusion, antonyms, and negation, 5) quantificational concepts including genericity and distributivity, and 6) dependencies most frequently analyzed as variable binding (wh-questions, relative clauses, degree clauses).
The project aims for cultural diversity and gender balance of its staff. The project furthermore seeks to implement the principles of open science. ZAS is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications must be submitted via electronic mail and include the following four items in a single PDF attachment:
- A letter of intent specifying research experience and a sketch of the possible project contribution;
- The curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications;
- Electronic copies of up to three representative publications; and
- The names and email addresses of at least two scholars to be contacted for letters of recommendation.
Interested researchers wishing for secure communication with PGP can contact us for the necessary encryption key.
Application Deadline: 08-Mar-2021
Email Address for Applications: leibnizdream
Page Updated: 27-Jan-2021