LINGUIST List 32.3449
Tue Nov 02 2021
Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor of Teaching in Computational Linguistics, University of British Columbia
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Anne-Michelle Tessier <am.tessier
Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor of Teaching in Computational Linguistics, University of British Columbia, British Columbia, Canada E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of British Columbia
Job Location: British Columbia, Canada
Web Address: https://linguistics.ubc.ca/
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Teaching in Computational Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
The Department of Linguistics at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, invites applications for a tenure-track position in Computational Linguistics to begin July 1, 2022, with appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor of Teaching.
- The successful candidate will be joining the team of faculty and staff who run UBC’s Master of Data Science – Computational Linguistics program: https://masterdatascience.ubc.ca/programs/computational-linguistics
- The rank of Assistant Professor of Teaching is a classification within what UBC terms the “Educational Leadership” stream. The primary responsibilities of this position involve teaching and educational leadership, rather than research.
- The successful candidate will be expected to maintain an active program of excellent (1) teaching, which will include a variety of courses, mostly at the graduate level within the Master of Data Science – Computational Linguistics program, but potentially also outside the program at the undergraduate level (2) educational leadership, especially in the area of curriculum or program development, and (3) service (typical service includes participating in departmental meetings, serving on select departmental / faculty / university committees, and advising graduate students.
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Linguistics, Computer Science, or a closely related field with a primary specialization in Computational Linguistics or Natural Language Processing.
- Candidates should have knowledge of machine learning methods and be familiar with at least two of the following areas: computational morphology, computational pragmatics, computational semantics, parsing, sentiment analysis, speech technology, information extraction, and machine translation.
- Candidates should have experience building data-driven computational models of natural language and knowledge of Python.
- Candidates should have experience running programming labs or other hands-on seminars.
- Candidates are expected to demonstrate a record of or strong potential for high-quality teaching, service, and educational leadership that is inclusive and welcoming to students from a variety of backgrounds.
Applicants are asked to provide all of the following:
- a letter of application that describes how they fit the position;
- a curriculum vitae;
- a 1-2 page statement of vision for computational linguistics education (describing, for instance, the applicant’s perspective on what data science is, what they think people need to learn about computational linguistics at the master’s level, what/how to teach in ways that are responsive to industry needs);
- a 1-2 page statement of past and/or potential contributions to educational leadership;
- a 1-2-page statement about their experience working with a diverse student body and their contributions or potential contributions to creating/advancing a culture of equity and inclusion;
- evidence of teaching effectiveness (teaching evaluation scores / reports, sample course materials, examples of curriculum development, etc.);
- the names and contact information of three referees who will be able to provide a confidential letter of recommendation upon request
Application must be submitted at the application link below.
Review of applications will begin soon after December 10, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
Full posting: https://linguistics.ubc.ca/job-opportunities/asst-prof-teach-cl/
Application Deadline: 10-Dec-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://ling.air.arts.ubc.ca/asst-prof-teach-cl/
Carla Hudson Kam
Page Updated: 02-Nov-2021