LINGUIST List 32.3608
Mon Nov 15 2021
Jobs: General Linguistics: Assistant Professor in the Department of Linguistics/TESL, California State University, Northridge
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Kathy Draper <katherine.kershaw
General Linguistics: Assistant Professor in the Department of Linguistics/TESL, California State University, Northridge, CA, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: California State University, Northridge
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: https://www.csun.edu/humanities/linguistics
Job Title: Assistant Professor in the Department of Linguistics/TESL at CSUN
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Language Policy and Planning, Contact Linguistics, and/or Bilingualism
The Department of Linguistics/TESL at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is seeking a linguist for a tenure-track position at of the rank of assistant professor with a focus in language policy and planning, contact linguistics, and/or bilingualism.
The successful candidate will be familiar with descriptive and theoretical approaches to linguistics and be able to teach introductory linguistics courses. In addition to the primary field of specialization stated above, the candidate will be prepared to teach in at least two of the following areas: bilingualism, contact linguistics, field/descriptive linguistics, historical linguistics, language policy and planning, linguistic typology, sign language linguistics, and topics relating to Native American and/or endangered languages.
In addition to teaching, the position requires weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, advising students, and service to the department, college, and university. The standard teaching load at CSUN is 12 units (4/4) per semester (3/3 for the first two years), although reassigned time is available for research and/or curriculum development on a competitive basis. Availability to teach evening classes is required. The successful candidate will be held to the standards and requirements of the college and department in which he/she is housed for recommending tenure and promotion. Scholarly activities and publication of research are required for tenure.
As a Hispanic-serving Institution (HSI), inclusiveness and diversity are integral to CSUN’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As of Fall 2020, CSUN enrolls ~40,000 students, where 56% are Latinx, 20.8% are White, 9.3% are Asian American, 4.8% are Black/African American, 0.1% are Native American, and 0.1% are Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. The successful candidate will help the Department achieve equitable outcomes for all students through teaching, student mentorship, scholarship, and service.
Required qualifications include:
- Ph.D. or other terminal degree in Linguistics or closely related field from an accredited institution (evidence of degree required at time of hire)
- Experience teaching courses in linguistics or related discipline
- Ability to effectively work with a highly diverse student population
- Ability to develop and teach graduate (Master’s degree level) and undergraduate courses in linguistics
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Viable research agenda and the potential for publication
- Experience using culturally responsive pedagogy that leads to equitable outcomes for all students
- Experience creating a student-centered learning environment
- Ability to teach in phonetics/phonology
- Experience adopting inclusive approaches to research and mentoring
- Evidence of other scholarly and professional activities
- Knowledge of those languages defined by the U.S. Department of State as “critical
languages” and/or of endangered languages
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application. For more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Please apply via the application link below. Applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and writing sample; the CV should include the names and contact information for three referees who can address the candidate’s qualifications (letters of recommendation are not required for the initial application).
Application Deadline: 13-Dec-2021
Web Address for Applications: https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/nr/en-us/job/506654/assistant-professor-linguisticstesl-2238
Page Updated: 15-Nov-2021