LINGUIST List 32.3630
Wed Nov 17 2021
Jobs: Spanish; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics, Mississippi State University
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Evan Simpson <evan
Spanish; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Mississippi State University
Department: Classical & Modern Languages and Literatures
Job Location: Mississippi, USA
Web Address: https://www.cmll.msstate.edu/
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)
The Department of Classical & Modern Languages and Literatures (CMLL) at Mississippi State University seeks to hire a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics, to begin Fall 2022. Area of sub-specialization is open, but the successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate- and graduate-level courses in Spanish, including beginning and intermediate language courses and more advanced courses related to Spanish linguistics. Opportunities for teaching undergraduate- and graduate-level courses in English on general linguistic topics also available.
CMLL has a dynamic program with an energetic and productive research and teaching faculty experienced in training high-achieving undergraduate and graduate students. The department offers a BA in Foreign Languages with concentrations in Asian Studies, Classics, French, German, and Spanish; an International Business Program (a joint BA in Foreign Languages and Business Administration); and an MA in Foreign Languages, with areas of study in French, German, and Spanish, offered through both face-to-face and online delivery. Other languages offered include Arabic, Italian, and Russian. The department has several study abroad program options for students in countries such as Costa Rica, France, Germany, and Spain. Faculty have affiliations with the Shackouls Honor College, the Humanities Institute, Gender Studies, and African American Studies.
Tenure Track Status: Tenure Track
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach assigned undergraduate and master’s level Spanish courses, including courses in Spanish linguistics within both face-to-face and distance contexts
- Design and teach new courses that build upon the existing offerings of the Spanish program
- Collaborate with scholars across campus in terms of research and teaching to advance the existing Spanish curriculum and program offerings
- Publish research and present professional papers in reputable venues.
- Recruit, advise, and mentor face-to-face and distance graduate and undergraduate students; promote the department’s graduate program.
- Participate in department, college, university, professional, and/or community service activities.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Spanish, Spanish Linguistics, or a related field.
- Demonstrated record of both scholarly publications and professional achievements, or clear promise thereof.
- Documented record of success in teaching beginning and intermediate Spanish courses.
- Demonstrated excellence in instruction of courses in Spanish linguistics.
- Experience with grants that support the humanities and other interdisciplinary fields of study.
- Experience and/or promise to design, develop, and deliver distance courses in synchronous and asynchronous modes.
- Experience with language proficiency assessment, proficiency-oriented teaching, and ACTFL standards that guide language instruction and curricular development.
Applications must be made online at the application link below. Please attach a cover letter addressed to Dr. Robert West, Interim Department Head; a full curriculum vitae; a statement of research; and an unofficial copy of transcripts for each degree earned. Social Security number should be redacted prior to submitting transcripts online. In addition, please send three letters of recommendation to the following email address: arb789
msstate.edu. Review of applications will begin December 10, 2021
Application Deadline: 10-Dec-2021 (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/en-us/job/503338/assistant-professor
Page Updated: 17-Nov-2021