LINGUIST List 32.3665
Sat Nov 20 2021
Calls: Psycholinguistics, Language Acquisition, Clinical Linguistics / Frontiers in Psychology (Jrnl)
Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinsonlinguistlist.org>
Richard Meier <rmeier
Psycholinguistics, Language Acquisition, Clinical Linguistics / Frontiers in Psychology (Jrnl) E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Frontiers in Psychology
Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics
Call Deadline: 25-Dec-2021
Call for Papers:
We--that is, Richard P. Meier (UT Austin), Aaron Shield (Miami University of Ohio), & Christian Rathmann (Humboldt University, Berlin)--invite submissions of abstracts for a research topic in Frontiers in Psychology on ''Modality and Language Acquisition: How does the channel through which language is expressed affect how children and adults are able to learn?''
This Research Topic seeks papers from scholars who are interested in the role that modalities play in language acquisition and in language processing, specifically focusing on studies that can illuminate differences in acquisition and processing that may be the result of modality differences (that is, the result of differences in the transmission channel through which language is produced and perceived). Papers can focus on the constraints that learners confront in the different language modalities, or on the resources that the different modalities afford learners. Submissions may include works on spoken, signed, tactile, or written languages, in children or adults, first- or second-language learners, and learners with typical or atypical development.
Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Perspective-taking in language
- Embodiment of language
- Iconicity in signed and spoken languages
- Evolutionary perspectives on the modalities of language
- Variability in the linguistic signal in sign and speech
- Developmental perspectives on modality/modalities/multimodality
- Language processing and multimodality
- Representations of, and use of, space in language
- Imitation strategies in sign and speech
- Impact of gesture and multimodality on language acquisition and learning
- Computer recognition of sign and speech
- Experimental approaches in language acquisition and processing studies
- Atypical development of language in sign and speech
The deadline for submitting an abstract is December 25, 2021.
The deadline for submitting a manuscript is February 23, 2022.
Page Updated: 20-Nov-2021