LINGUIST List 32.475
Mon Feb 08 2021
Calls: Hist Ling, Morphology, Semantics, Syntax, Typology/Spain
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Xabier Artiagoitia <xabier.artiagoitia
International Workshop on Negation E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: International Workshop on Negation
Date: 07-Oct-2021 - 07-Oct-2021
Location: Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
Contact Person: Xabier Artiagoitia
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: https://vasfunproject.wixsite.com/vasfun
Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Morphology; Semantics; Syntax; Typology
Call Deadline: 07-Feb-2021
International Workshop on Negation
University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU)
Vitoria-Gasteiz, October 7, 2021
This one-day workshop aims to bring together scholars working on sentential negation in any linguistically relevant field (diachrony, syntax, typology…), in order to present topics, methods and findings from different languages which might be relevant for the study of the expression and interpretation of negation.
Call for Papers:
We especially welcome submissions discussing issues related to the following:
- Syntactic behaviour of negation: nature, position, and interaction with other constituents.
- Diachronic development of negation and motivations for change in negation patterns.
- Possible correlations, if any, between language typology and typology of negation ˗word order, (a)symmetry, nature and position, typology of negative dependencies…
- Theoretical implications of experimental research on the expression and interpretation of negation.
Presentations will be 20 minutes long followed by a 10-minute discussion period. We would be pleased to receive proposals from a typologically diverse range of languages.
We would like to highlight the presence of the following keynote speakers:
- Anne Breitbarth (Ghent University),
- Matti Miestamo (University of Helsinki) and
- Hedde Zeijlstra (George August University, Göttingen).
Due to the current COVID pandemic and the uncertainty it entails, this workshop will be held both in-person and online in a synchronous way. It will be up to each presenter, upon acceptance, to decide which modality they choose.
Submission guidelines and important dates:
- Abstract proposals should be a maximum of 2 pages (including references, examples, tables, keywords, etc.) and must have 2.5 cm (1 inch) margins on all sides and be set in Times New Roman with a 12pt font.
- Submissions are limited to two per author, with at most one paper being single authored.
- The submission must be anonymous and not reveal the identity of the author(s) in any way.
- Abstracts should be submitted in PDF format through EasyChair by April 16th, 2021.
Workshop date: October 7, 2021
Deadline for abstracts: April 16, 2021
Notification of acceptance or refusal: July 9, 2021
Submission webpage: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=interneg1
Registration fee: free. However, participants will be required to register at vasfunproject
Workshop website: https://vasfunproject.wixsite.com/vasfun
Organizing committee: Arantzazu Elordieta (UPV/EHU), Xabier Artiagoitia (UPV/EHU) and Alazne Arriortua (UPV/EHU).
This workshop is part of the project PGC2018-100686-B-I00 'Analysis of some functional particles (modal, negative, complementizer) in Basque grammar', funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
Page Updated: 08-Feb-2021