LINGUIST List 32.488
Tue Feb 09 2021
Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics: Teaching Fellows, University of Macau
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Cyrus Leung <cyrusleung
English; Applied Linguistics: Teaching Fellows, University of Macau, China E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Macau
Department: Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Job Location: Macau, China
Web Address: https://fah.um.edu.mo/
Job Title: Teaching Fellows of English Language
Job Rank: Other; Teaching Fellows
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The English Language Centre (ELC) of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities is seeking qualified individuals for the positions as “Teaching Fellow.”
Duties of the teaching fellow include:
- Full-time teaching (typically 12 to 15 hours of classroom teaching per week plus office hours and other teaching commitments);
- Working with the faculty and the ELC on projects or committee assignments in an area of professional interest or expertise (e.g. IT, assessment, curriculum development, materials design, professional development) and
- Engaging in language and cultural exchange student activities. Initial appointment is up to 12 months with a possibility of a next 12-month contract upon mutual agreement.
Applicants must have a Master’s degree in TESOL/TEFL/ELT (or closely related fields in English Education or Applied English Linguistics) from an accredited program in hand at the time of application. Candidates with a minimum of 2 years of full-time English Language teaching experience for late teenagers or adults in English as a foreign/second language contexts are preferred. Professional knowledge and experience of EAP/ESP teaching and material development is an advantage.
The successful candidates also need to possess the following abilities:
- Effective ELT pedagogy in student-centered approaches,
- Strong ability to build rapport with and motivate students,
- Organizational skills,
- Communication skills,
- Collegiality and teamwork.
Excellent command of English is expected. Ability to speak Chinese is not required. The candidate should be willing to engage in the Centre's committee works and projects as assigned.
The selected candidate is expected to assume duty on the 2nd of August 2021.
The taxable salary of the Teaching Fellow shall to be determined according to the successful applicant’s academic qualification and relevant professional experience and it is ranging from MOP21,709 to MOP30,390 (USD1 approx. = MOP8). The current local maximum income tax rate is 12% but is effectively around 5% – 7% after various discretionary exemptions. Basic medical benefits are available at a low cost.
Human Resources Section, Office of Administration
University of Macau, Av. da Universidade, Taipa, Macau, China
; Email: vacancy
Tel: +853 8822 8589; Fax: +853 8822 2412
The effective position and salary index are subject to the Personnel Statute of the University of Macau in force. The University of Macau reserves the right not to appoint a candidate. Applicants with less qualification and experience can be offered lower positions under special circumstances.
***Personal data provided by applicants will be kept confidential and used for recruitment purpose only***
** Under the equal condition of qualifications and experience, priority will be given to Macao permanent residents**
Applicants should visit the application link provided below for more details, and apply ONLINE on or before the 1st of March 2021 to ensure timely consideration.
The application should include:
- A cover letter and an updated curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts of 3 referees;
- Teaching evaluations of recent two years (if any);
- Academic certificates and
- Graduate transcripts
Application Deadline: 01-Mar-2021 (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://career.admo.um.edu.mo/fah_elc_tf_01_2021/
Human Resources Section Office of Administration
Phone: 853 8822 8589
Fax: 853 8822 2412
Page Updated: 09-Feb-2021