LINGUIST List 32.651
Mon Feb 22 2021
Jobs: General Linguistics: Manager, Linguistic Society of America
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Alyson Reed <lsa
General Linguistics: Manager, Linguistic Society of America, DC, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Linguistic Society of America
Job Location: District of Columbia, USA
Web Address: https://www.linguisticsociety.org/
Job Title: Linguistic Society of America - Meetings Manager
Job Rank: Manager
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Under the direction of the Executive Director of the LSA, Meetings Manager will provide leadership and professional expertise in the planning and implementation of all LSA events.
- Plan, execute and evaluate all aspects of the LSA’s Annual Meeting, in consultation with the Program Committee and Executive Director.
- Develop budgets and monitor revenue/expenses for LSA-sponsored events.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, develop a marketing plan for LSA-sponsored events to increase abstract submissions, attendance, exhibitors, advertisers and sponsors.
- Liaise with sister societies that co-locate their annual meetings with the LSA’s to coordinate logistics and other arrangements.
- Develop and disseminate RFPs for potential meeting sites; evaluate proposals received, and recommend preferred sites to the Executive Committee and Executive Director. Negotiate contracts for meeting site and services in consultation with Executive Director.
- Plan, execute and evaluate LSA webinars, in consultation with Editors, committee leaders and staff as appropriate.
- Provide support for the Linguistic Institute and CoLang, in consultation with the Institute and the Fellowships Committee.
- Assist with planning and logistics for LSA Executive Committee meetings, marketing and registration for LSA sponsored conferences, and other events as appropriate.
- Assist the Executive Director with planning the annual awards program and business meeting of the LSA.
- Identify and participate in discussions with the LSA Executive Committee and Executive Director on strategies, opportunities, potential conflicts and other issues related to the successful implementation of events.
- Maintain and enhance web content for events, in consultation with LSA staff and web developer.
- Baccalaureate degree in any field, with a preference for those who have taken courses in linguistics and/or world languages. CMP credential is a plus.
- Experience (1-3 years) planning events for membership associations, including a successful track record of building and growing the total number of participants through creative, innovative initiatives.
- Experience with event marketing, contracting, vendor relations, and content coordination.
- Familiarity with online registration systems, abstract management, meeting apps and related software tools and services.
- This position requires occasional travel to attend the LSA Annual Meeting and Spring Executive Committee meeting.
- This part-time position will average about 20 hours per week, with more hours required during the week of the two events referenced above.
- The position will be based in Washington, DC, with the option of remote work, subject to approval.
- Creative, innovative, collaborative, congenial, diplomatic, and self-motivated.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including the art of persuasion and making the case for participation in LSA events based on a strong value proposition.
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and contact information for at least three professional references to the application email address provided below, using this subject line: Application for LSA Meetings Manager Position.
Deadline: March 7, 2021.
The LSA is committed to principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Applications from members of under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 07-Mar-2021
Email Address for Applications: lsa
Page Updated: 22-Feb-2021