LINGUIST List 32.985
Wed Mar 17 2021
Support: Chibchan; Cabécar; General Linguistics: PhD, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Elisabeth Verhoeven <elisabeth.verhoeven
Chibchan; Cabécar; General Linguistics: PhD, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Institut für deutsche Sprache und Linguistik
Web Address: https://www.linguistik.hu-berlin.de/de/institut/professuren/allgemeine-sprachwissenschaft/allgemeine-sprachwissenschaft
Institution/Organization: Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Duties: Research,Project Work
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Morphology; Syntax
Required Language(s): Cabécar (cjp)
PhD Position in the DFG-funded project CHIBERGIS "Ergativity and Information Structure in Chibchan Languages" (involving part-time employment (65 %) - E 13 TV-L HU - short term for 3 years)
CHIBERGIS is a collaboration between research teams at Humboldt-University Berlin, University of Göttingen and CNRS/SeDyL Paris. It investigates two layers of clause structure: alignment and information structure as well as the interaction between these layers. It will provide deeply annotated corpora and empirical studies on the Chibchan language family. The methodological approach combines exploratory research based on corpora and confirmatory research through field experiments.
The research goals include:
- A detailed structural investigation of the syntactic and semantic properties of ergativity,
- A study on information structure focusing on the role of microvariation in word order possibilities, and
- A precise examination of the role of information structure in languages with optional ergative marking, which is a phenomenon that has been observed for several languages but is not yet studied or understood in detail.
Additional information can be found at https://www.linguistik.hu-berlin.de/en/institut-en/professuren-en/general-linguistics-1/research/ergativity-and-information-structure-chibcha?set_language=en
PhD Project Description:
The PhD Project is expected to address a topic related to the syntax and semantics in Chibchan. Possible specializations include a language-specific study on a Chibchan language or a comparative study of micro-variation in Chibchan.
This position involves:
- Collaboration in the DFG-funded research project CHIBERGIS "Ergativity and Information Structure in Chibchan Languages" (Central America);
- Experimental research and data collection on a Chibchan language;
- Presentation and publication of research results;
- Tasks for own scientific qualification (PhD).
- Completed university studies (Master's, Magister, or comparable degree) in General Linguistics or a related subject;
- Knowledge of grammar theory (especially in the area of morpho-syntax);
- Expertise in experimental and/or field research methods;
- Experience with under-researched languages desirable;
- Very good command of English;
- Knowledge of German and/or Spanish desirable
Please send your application quoting the reference number DR/013/21 to Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Faculty of Language and Literature, Department German Language and Linguistics, Prof. Elisabeth Verhoeven, Unter den Linden 6, 10099 Berlin or preferably via e-mail in pdf file to: anina.klein
The application should include a CV, list of publications, and a cover letter stating your interest in the advertised position.
HU is seeking to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching, and specifically encourages qualified female scholars to apply. Severely disabled applicants with equivalent qualifications will be given preferential consideration. People with an immigration background are specifically encouraged to apply. Since we will not return your documents, please submit copies in the application only.
Please visit our website www.hu-berlin.de/stellenangebote
, which gives you access to the legally binding German version.
Applications Deadline: 31-Mar-2021
Web Address for Applications: anina.klein
Prof. Elisabeth Verhoeven
Page Updated: 17-Mar-2021