Job Announcement: The Johns Hopkins University
English; French; Language Acquisition: Post Doc, The Johns Hopkins University, Paris, France
The Johns Hopkins University
|Job Location:||Paris, France|
|Title:||Language Acquisition: Post Doc|
The Department of Cognitive Science at Johns Hopkins University invites applications for a one-year (renewable for a second year) postdoctoral fellowship for an NSF-funded research grant on the early acquisition of morpho-syntax. The position is affiliated with the JHU Language Acquisition Lab (see department) but the post-doc fellow will be based in Paris and will be primarily involved in carrying out experimental research on French (see department URL).
- Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g. linguistics, psychology, cognitive science, speech & hearing), completed prior to appointment date (Sept. 1, 2013).
- Native-like competence in both English and French (these skills will be assessed at interview); familiarity with Spanish and/or Haitian Creole a plus.
- Solid background in syntax, phonology, and comparative linguistics.
-Training in relevant experimental methodologies (incl. preferential looking, TOBII eye-tracking, and head-turn preference) as well as statistics.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- participate in planning, designing, and conducting research under the direction of the co-PIs (JHU/Brooklyn College/LPP Paris);
- Analyze research data and provide interpretations;
- Contribute to the development of research documentation for publication and the writing of research articles. Opportunities to engage in teaching activities may be available in Paris.
Please submit the following documents electronically via application email:
- A one-page cover letter summarizing your qualifications for the position.
- A CV highlighting your education, training, employment, and any publications and/or presentations relevant to the acquisition of morpho-syntax.
- Writing samples in English and French (the latter can be a statement of research written in French, one page maximum).
- Two letters of recommendations from researchers familiar with the candidate’s research.
We will begin reviewing complete applications immediately. This position carries an annual salary of $38,000 and a conference travel allowance.
The Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to
recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students. All applicants who share this goal are encouraged to apply.
Contact Information: Geraldine Legendre, Director, Language Acquisition Lab (See contact email address below).
|Application Deadline:||Open until filled|
click here to access email
, Administrative Assistant
click here to access email
Phone: 410-516-5250 Fax: 410-516-8020