The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2017 Fund Drive.
Job Announcement: Institute of Multilingualism, University of Fribourg
General Linguistics; Multilingualism: Post Doc, Institute of Multilingualism, University of Fribourg, Fribourg, Switzerland
Institute of Multilingualism, University of Fribourg
|Job Location:||Fribourg, Switzerland|
|Title:||Post-doctoral Research Fellowship|
The Institute of Multilingualism at the University of Fribourg and the University of Teacher Education Fribourg is pleased to offer a 12-month research fellowship at post-doctoral level in the field of multilingualism. The purposes of this fellowship are to encourage innovative research on multilingualism, provide a stimulating environment for research in the field, offer regular research supervision by the professors at the Institute of Multilingualism, allow researchers to gain knowledge on multilingualism from the perspective of Switzerland.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity and is expected to actively participate in the activities and research meetings of the Institute and contribute to conferences organised by the Institute.
The Institute of Multilingualism offers 1 fellowship for 2014. It provides a stipend of CHF 50’000 for 12 months. The fellow will be provided a working space and computer facilities and is expected to work at the Institute.
Fellowships will begin either on January 15, 2014 or March 1, 2014 and end within 12 months of commencing.
To be eligible, the applicant must have completed a PhD thesis in one of the subfields defined below and provide proof of a good track record, have a clear research plan related to multilingualism in one of the subfields defined below, have a good working knowledge of English, German or French.
Research in multilingualism should preferably be in one of the main research areas of the Institute of multilingualism:
- Multilingual language acquisition and usage (Prof. Dr. Raphael Berthele)
- Multilingualism: society, institutions and politics (including migration and languages at work) (Prof. Dr. Alexandre Duchêne)
- Multilingualism: teaching, learning and evaluation of language competences (Prof. Dr. Thomas Studer)
The professors of the Institute will select the fellowship recipient. They will assess quality with reference to the following criteria:
- Originality and creativity of the research proposal
- Importance of the proposed research to the applicant's field
- Appropriateness of the topic in regard to research carried out at the Institute of Multilingualism
- Competence of the applicant for proposed research as indicated by references, research experience, and other academic achievements
The application documents must be submitted electronically as one single PDF file. The application documents may be submitted in English, French, German, or Italian.
The application will consist of the following items:
1. Curriculum vitae
- List of publications and conference papers
- Presentation of the research project (max. 6 pages (Times New Roman 12, 1.5 spaced)
- Abstract (300 words), state of the art regarding the research theme, research questions, methods, analysis and expected results, bibliography, research plan for the period to be spent at the Institute
- Short statement indicating the Institute’s main research area(s) in which the research project is to be situated and why the applicant envisages carrying out (part of) his or her project at the Institute of Multilingualism / in Fribourg
2. Two letters of reference: These letters must be in PDF format, on official letterhead, signed by the referee, and e-mailed directly from the referee's corresponding professional e-mail account. The Institute will not accept reference letters e-mailed by the applicant. Letters of reference should be e-mailed to the administrative director, Susanne Obermayer, with the subject line: "Reference letter for (Applicant's last name), (Applicant's first name)".
click here to access email
click here to access email
Phone: +41 26 305 61 73