Job Announcement: Stanford University
General Linguistics: Post Doc, Stanford University, California, USA
|Job Location:||California, USA|
Applications are invited for a full-time postdoctoral associate position in the Department of Linguistics at Stanford University. This one-year position is renewable for up to 3 years, based on satisfactory performance and available funding.
The postdoctoral associate will spend 20-25 hours per week managing the Experimental Linguistics Laboratory and the remaining 15-20 hours per week on independent research in any area of Linguistics. Hours in each of these two job areas will be flexible depending on seasonal variations in lab management needs. While the individual research area is open, priority will be given to applicants whose research complements that of the department. Prof. Meghan Sumner will supervise the lab manager position.
The position involves the following responsibilities:
- Maintain hardware/software: Perform updates; renew licenses; improve server system; research solutions for user experimental needs
- Develop and disseminate lab standards: Develop online and hard copy manual of lab standards (recording, calendar systems, etc.); develop lab TA manual
- Assist users: Coordinate with Lab TAs in order to assist student and faculty users in their experimental needs (troubleshooting E-Prime experimental development, assistance with Praat scripting, statistics, R, etc.)
- Manage department subject pool: Assist with IRB protocol; communicate with users; manage accounts
- Develop and implement equipment logging system: Propose best options for a check-in/check-out system for portable equipment and software keys
- Schedule and attend lab meetings: Hold bi-weekly meeting with supervisor, monthly meetings with lab committee
- Oversee bi-weekly lab tutorials: Topics TBA; hold 2 tutorials per quarter targeted at training students in laboratory-related techniques
- Other projects as assigned: Work with Prof. Sumner and lab users to implement online data collection system; communicate with directors of other labs in the department to identify shared needs and future improvements, etc.
Lab manager duties, 50-65%:
- Experience with and ability to perform lab management tasks/duties described above with minimal supervision
- Advanced skills in:
- Praat (e.g., scripting, file storage and organization, speech manipulation)
- Statistical analysis including logistic regression
- R (analysis, plots)
- E-Prime, or similar experimental presentation software
- Forced alignment
Individual research program, 35-50%:
- PhD in Linguistics or related field
- Strong record of independent research
- Research program that complements that of the Stanford Linguistics community
- Openness to collaborative projects with graduate students and faculty
Salary will be based on University guidelines for postdoctoral fellows, and will be commensurate with experience. The initial appointment is for one year. The anticipated start date is between September 15, 2013 and October 1, 2013. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, please send a CV, a cover letter outlining your qualifications, and a brief overview of your research interests as a single pdf file with the subject Linguistics Postdoc to Prof. Meghan Sumner at the application email address below. Please also arrange to have two letters of reference sent via email directly to Prof. Sumner as soon as possible.
Stanford University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Candidates from groups that are under-represented in their disciplines, including women, ethnic minorities, and individuals with disabilities, are encouraged.
|Application Deadline:||Open until filled|
click here to access email
click here to access email